Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The New Chat System Is Underway!

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

The New Chat System Is Underway!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:43 pm

As people may or may not be aware, the new chat is readily available and just as a forewarning this announcement is only temporary until a complete one is created.

For those curious, head over to the chat, type /help for information and then get right to it!

Further questions should be directed at the staff, bugs raised to Rem and suggestions to be filed in the Feedback tag on the left side of the page or in the suggestion thread on the forum.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: The New Chat System Is Underway!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tigerman4527 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 am

Awww man. I liked the old chat system. I cant figure out at all how to use this one, not even with the help thing.
TIGERMAN is AWESOME!
The greatest pleasure in life is doing the things people tell you that you can't do.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

tigerman4527
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Please take all constructive feedback to the Feedback tab found on the left side of the page, else find your posts being removed, thankyou.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tawanos on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 pm

I just started here recently, only a month ago now. I was just getting used to the IRC chat set up and was surprised one day when I suddenly had to navigate through what felt like an ancient MUD (Multi User Dungeon). I've also noticed a distinct increase of user's getting kicked by the system as well as an increase of lag. I was surprised to note that the length of PM messages has been shortened to well below the limit set for regular posts without indicating what that number of characters is.

I fully admit that I spend almost all my time in Gambits, though I do occasionally head out to the Gardens or Dojo. I still feel much more cut off by having to figure out how to navigate to those areas rather than an easier teleport system. Hopefully this will adapt some to be a bit more user friendly in terms of navigation, an official map would help a great deal. I have seen the unofficial and was not particularly enthralled.

Also, if I may be so bold as to ask for a slight modification in one regard. I do not know about how possible or impossible this would be given the current set up. I have noted in a few IRC channels I have been in before that when a user, lets call them User A, makes a post that includes the name of another user, User B, then the post by User A shows up slightly differently to User B to indicate that their name was mentioned. As I said I do not know if that is possible with this set up, I am a Literature Major with very little actual programming experience, but I thought I would make the suggestion.

In any case, my only primary concern is the noted increase in lag, 500s, and kicking users. Secondary is the navigation which may take some getting used to, but isn't the trial that people seem to be making it out to be. The reduction in PM posts is a little irritating when sending a PM repost of a lost or missed message as it was without warning, but I trust that will not be an issue if lag and such are fixed.

Thank you for your time, and good luck in the future
Tawanos
I Wish I may, I wish I might.
Have this wish I wish tonight.
I want that Star I want it Now.
I want it all, I don't care How!

Tawanos
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Effin on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:32 pm

I personally like this new system. The different rooms seem more realistic and fun. I aslo enjoy the OOC chat, so We don't spam the rp. Yes, I hate the occasional Error: 500 and GM messages, but oh well. No one is perfect. People, please give the creators slack. They made this awesome site, and you just Whine and complain about it. They try to make what's best for the rpers, to make them feel more at home. It costs so much to make you all happy, and really, do you even believe every site you go to is perfect? Really now, If you don't like it, quit. It's your decision, really. I throughly enjoy this site.

-Effin.

Effin
Member for 15 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:21 pm

New feature! The OOC button, or typing /ooc <message>, now lets you talk OOC without it taking up space on the chat logs! A few notes:

1. The message will appear very much like a regular comment one might see in the OOC room. If it's surrounded by IC posts, chances are you're IC. If everyone is in an OOC conversation in an IC room, however, something is very, very wrong with the roleplay going on in that room. (Edit: OOC messages are now back to their original fun-sized fonts, but font coloring for the message doesn't seem to be functional at the moment, making it easier to tell that people aren't OOC in an IC room.)

2. While BBCode does work in these messages, raw URLs will not instantly turn into clickable links like they did before. You'll have to figure out a way around that...

3. Use this new feature much as you would an OOC message back in the days when we actually had to use double brackets or something else that got the point across: Messages meant to be read by multiple people (ideally, the entire room) are best handled by the OOC message, but if you're directing your comment at one person, fire a PM at that person instead.

4. Just because these messages are not saved to the chat logs does not mean they are an open avenue through which to circumvent the rules in force there and everywhere else on the site.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 am

Alvaron wrote:Please take all constructive feedback to the Feedback tab found on the left side of the page, else find your posts being removed, thankyou.

The feedback tab does not work.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zewei on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:02 am

may i know how to connect to it using my own irc client?
Injuries of the heart is the hardest to heal, for it actually takes time and will to embrace the pain, and be affected by it.

zewei
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!