Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Training Hall-Arena OOC, Advice, Opponents and Camaraderie.

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Re: Training Hall-Arena OOC, Advice, Opponents and Camaraderie.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby victim130 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 pm

With Grinum he uses a stone that allows teleportation, but if he uses it more than once with in I think it was five minutes he will lose a piece of his body. It starts out low like his finger nails then it move on to get larger the more times it is used during its cool down time. I made it so he would most likely only use it if it was to escape death from undodgeable attacks like guns or a barrage of attacks from all sides.

I think it is just highly powered not unfair.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

victim130
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 am

Firearms I don't mind because it is similar to magic, I have a character who uses firearms. I mean if we are saying our characters can dodge a lighting bolt, which moves at the speed of light...think about it, then I am sure I can find a way to write how I managed to avoid getting hit by a bullet.

Teleportation is a subject that I personally frown upon, but that is because of the noob duelists who write:

"Zangor the super sowordsman teleports behind you and slices you through the skull, and pulls out your brains and kills you ded wit the attack."
or
"Zangor the super sowrdsman teleports from you atatck and appears behind you and stabs you three times, then teleports in front of you and stabs you face and kills you."*

These are not duelists but Gary Stu fighters who never finish their duels when they realize they are loosing. If there is a logical and well thought out manner in using teleportation that will not confer auto-hitting or auto-dodging because you can teleport, then I am all for it. It also would depend on the writer who is utilizing it.

*And yes I did intentionally misspell words in my two examples of a noob fighter.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Korobug on Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Oh, so teleporting isn't godmodding say, if it has cooldown and I can't attack after it. Oh, and of course not being able to teleport out of an attack, unless it was slow.
Am I correct?
While I'm at it I'll also ask, if it requires a fair bit of time to execute, would long distance teleporting be okay to roleplay, it'd be like an alternate means to a boat but where you ended up would only be in the general vicinity of wanted to end up.
I want you to build a bridge... and I want you to make it vertical
~LiberateDragon

Korobug
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Teleporting in a role-play is a lot more loose - I don't know the mechanics behind it, but if it's common use in your game, or you have a logical reason to be able to do it, by all means, Korobug.

I guess I wouldn't kick my computer if I saw somebody write out teleporting in a manner that didn't godmod or otherwise detract from the match.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Korobug on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 pm

iunno about common, but I was thinking of it being like an alternate to a boat or airship or the such, though boats and airships are usually far more fun ^^;

Korobug
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jace on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 am

With Victor, he can't teleport, but he can move very fast, and faster as his Seals go higher. There are weaknesses to it of course, such as he can only move in a straight line unless he comes out of his Velocity to change course, he can't go through solid objects, and of course people he fights may have the ability to see his movements, as he still needs to move from point A to point B.

Jace
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Big Boss on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Here is Suza Aizen one of my old Characters that I edited, I just wanted to get someones opinion on him and his new profile and powers.

Challenge him... when your ready to dual a God. 8)

Big Boss
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Big Boss, that's a powerful character, but a god? No, just powerful. I think I read this one or a similar one you used in a duel, if it is the same one you did indeed flesh it out a great deal, nice job.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Big Boss on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Yes, it's the character I used against Victim, I will be giving all my Characters a Overhaul similar to this. As for being a God, I simply say that because he is a Death God, I didn't wish to make him to powerful, like most God characters.

Thank You Skall for the C&C.

Big Boss
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lamentations on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Nice character Big Boss. I like the renovation he has over gone. Makes me want to spar him.

Lamentations
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jace on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:38 pm

I actually plan on using this character. And his history is supposed to be first, for a reason. Comments?

History:

“Dr. Jacob, one of the brightest minds of the twenty-one centuries Earth survived, and now with the discovery of other worlds, through the wonderful faction of the United Earth Confederation, he has now become one of the brightest minds of the Multi-Verse, performing feats the likes of which lesser men could only produce wet dreams of. It is this mind that shall lead us into the future, and beyond.”

The young woman let her hands fall to her sides, the small script clutched in her right fist, crumpled. She tried to speak for a moment, but no words could be persuaded to force their way past the numb lips. Her dumbfounded gaze turned to her right, watching as a man in a white lab coat stood tall and proud, nodding his head as if she still spoke.

“Beautiful my dear! I had no idea you felt this way about me! To think, I was on the verge of giving in to the loneliness of space! BUT YOU SAVED ME!”

Her jaw cracked open, her body leaned forward, and she sputtered.

“Wh-wh- WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU PSYCHO!? YOU WROTE THAT AND MADE ME READ IT! YOU ARE A FUCKING LUNATIC!”

The assistant stood there in the small laboratory, indignation flaring up and visible in the harsh redness of her cheeks, and the heaving of her breasts. Doctor Jacob looked hurt.

“Why, Cynthia-”

“Alison.”

“I thought you were simply expressing your admiration for me… I had no idea you felt this way. Why, I don’t even know why I hired you,” the Doctor said, a look of hurt mingled with the beginnings of fury on his face.

He turned to face her fully, “Oh right,” he murmured, glancing from her feet and up, finally resting upon the ample, magnificent bosom straining against the toddler-sized button up blouse she wore. It must be made of Teflon, he thought, to withstand that amount of pressure.

“Well my dear, no matter. I have something that will make us both rich and laid!”

She started to speak, but just gave up and crumpled the paper fully, flinging it into a waste receptacle. The woman was on the verge of calling it a night and heading for bed, when the good doctor returned, something small, brown, and fluffy in his arms.

“Teddy!”

She lunged forward, but the doctor was quicker and sidestepped her, putting a large worktable between the two.

“Freeze!” he cried, and as she had a chip implanted within her flesh that caused her to obey his every command, his every command, she froze on the spot.
“Now then, we are going to create something! A super soldier! I’m afraid I’m all out of bunnies though, and this is the only thing on board the station I hate, so… sorry dear.”

The bear was brown in color, wearing a pair of tan overalls, with large brown eyes and a hinged mouth. Doctor J flipped it over and unfastened its clothes, giggling, to reveal a large apparatus that allowed one to place a cassette in the bear, and then play it.

“Well, this won’t do. We need space!”

From a coat pocket he pulled a small laser and at once went to work, his tongue poking from the corner of his mouth. He removed the guts of the toy, carefully laying them aside.

“Nurse, bring me the black box on the table.”

She did so.

Once open, the contents of the box began to glow faintly, a bluish color, though to call it blue would be the same as calling it red.

“What is that, Doctor?”

“Ah, this is an Improbability Drive! I’ve spent the last year making it, and I must say, it works amazingly! With this, and some TLC, our little friend will be better in no time.”

“But he wasn’t broken, or sick, Doctor”

“He wants to be a real boy, dumbass.”

For hours the Doctor worked to implant the Drive into the core of the bear, placing about it types of shields made of dense star crust, a material ten billion times stronger than steel, and through his refinement and the UEC abilities, he had made it lighter than silk. One the drive was in place, only the size of a normal human heart, he modified the original parts, and replaced them within the bear. It looked the same as it always had, and in fact had a tape still within its body. He pushed play.

“Hi, I’m Teddy Ruxpen, will you be my frie-”

“NOOOOOOO!”

Doctor Jacob hurried and hit stop, ejected the tape, flipped it into the air, caught it in his mouth, bit down on it, broke a tooth, threw the tape against the wall, and finally stood there panting.

“That was close!”

“What, doctor!? What!?”

“Copyright infringement! Jesus! I can’t afford that shit! I’ll have to make a mix tape.”

Doctor Jacob settled down and turned the bear over, looking into its still lifeless eyes.

“I saw this movie once… Tell me nurse, do you love this bear?”

The woman nodded, “Yes Doctor, I’ve had him since I was eight years old. He was a gift from my father, just before he walked outside and was bitten by a rabid chipmunk, then ate my mother. It’s all I have left of them.”

Doctor Jacob nodded, he had thought as much.

“I give you permission to do whatever you like.”

He reached into a deep coat pocket, and from within pulled a twelve inch blade. He turned back to the bear and lifted it high, while taking a step back.

“As for Mr. Bear, he’s going to get this one up the ass and out the eyeballs.”

“No!”

The nurse, given permission to do as she pleased, ran around the table and pushed herself between the bear and the madman, holding her arms out to either side as Doc. J. tried to stab at the furry little critter.

“What’s wrong with you woman!? I’m just going to kill the bear! I WANT THE BEAR!”

“BUT I LOVE HIM!”

“This is like Harry Potter,” the Doctor whispered as his blade struck down, slicing into the assistants shoulder, lungs, heart, neck, and several arteries in between. Her blood spewed over Jacob, and more importantly, over the bear. He pushed her lifeless body out of the way and dropped the knife, then stood over the bear, hands pressed to the table on either side of the body. He waited, and waited. Just when he would give up, the eyes flickered and fluttered, then blinked once. The mouth moved, but no sound came out, for there was no tape, yet.

“Try to do something, little feller!”

At first nothing happened, but then slowly, ever so slowly, the blood covering the bear, the table, and the doctor turned to water. The power of LOVE no gave the Improbability Drive its power, and would do so for eternity, for such was the power of LOVE! As if reading the Doctor’s thoughts, the blood-turned water changed yet again, this time into a plethora of used condoms.

“Why, that’s improbable!”

Name: Snuggles, Mr. Snuggles

Description: Snuggles stands at an imposing one foot, six inches. He has no hair to speak of, but his body is covered in a flowing, synthetic brown fur that protects his organs from the cold nights and hot afternoons. His eyes are rather large and prominent, brown in color, but can at times glow different colors, depending on his mood. He wears a pair of tan overalls, with white buttons, and no shoes. On his forehead is a scar shaped like a weird Z, though not really a scar so much as a stain of blood that never washed out. Weird.

Personality: Fun-Loving and unpredictable.

Random: Snuggles only has certain phrases he can say, those that have been programmed by the Doctor. They range from obscenities to quotes from movies.

Powers/Skills/Abilities:

Improbability Drive (8) : The heart of Snuggles, this drive constantly emit’s a field around the loveable bear that bends probability to the edges of sanity, and then punts it. Doctor J first got the idea from a classic book back on his home world, Earth, and since then has strove to create and then perfect the drive, which he believes he has done. The basic concepts realize that while in all probability a subatomic particle will be near the nucleus of an atom, there is the smallest chance that it is also light years away. Through this understanding was the drive born, a creation that hinges on the least possible conclusion to any situation.

Improbability Power(8) : His main form of offense and defense, is the function of the drive within his body. Through that engine the bear is able to have reality changed about him, to a certain degree of range. What happens when this power is enacted is always different, and never planned out. He has no true control over this act, it is something programmed into the engine to both protect Snuggles and attack for him.

Matter Mutation (8): Through the Improbable Drive, Snuggles can change matter about his person, much the same as in the power described above. In doing this, the base compilation of an object is changed on an atomic level, instantaneously. This can be in the form of objects, landscape, weapons, or energy. Unlike his Improbable power, this ability can be channeled to do a specific function, though it requires more concentration than he is likely to put forth.

Transportation (8): Through his Improbable power, when activated for travel the bear can be in all places at once, and then chose which one he desires to be at. When required to do so, he can take objects or people with him, but only a few. In times of great distress this power may also be activated to bring places to where he is, though for what reason no one knows.

LOVE (8) : Through the sacrifice of his mother, in defense from Lord J, Snuggles has gained protection that folds into a power that provides the energy necessary for his drive to function. As love is eternal, so is the substance that gives him life.

Sporkplay (8) : Since his creation, Snuggles has practiced extensively within the art of the Spork, becoming a master in short time. When using this weapon, the matter around his paw will change to make the spork and his limb one and the same. Through his power of Matter Mutation, he can grow or shrink his weapon, at will.

Dense Star Crust Shielding (8) : To protect the ID, (Improbable Drive), Doctor Jacob has encased it in a material ten billion times stronger than metal, and programmed the drive itself so that if anything probably happened to Snuggles, it would at once return to his laboratory. Or an ocean. Either way, the homing devices installed gives him the ability to find it, no matter where it may be.

Tier: High
Class: Critical

Jace
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arrogance on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:57 am

Jace, this is my new favorite character of yours.

A man chooses, a slave obeys. - Andrew Ryan

Arrogance
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Big Boss on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

Rion wrote:Nice character Big Boss. I like the renovation he has over gone. Makes me want to spar him.

Well I'm putting him on the chopping block today, so you might just get your chance.

Jace You have one very unorthodox and original character there, very cool.

Big Boss
Member for 16 years

Help in Battling

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jakelovesyuna on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:29 am

Now here at RPG i have learnt there is a very high standard of fighting, loads of people are good and it is hard to "Break in". So this is what i need.

I need someone to run me through it, from A-Z. from creating a character to how to describe moves, what to do and what not to do, any help would be thanked, i trust i will find some very helpful people on this topic. Also i ti will be very hard to get to grips with this for me, so this might take time.
I asked my friend what he thought of my drawing, at this is what he said:Jake your drawings make Rukia's look like masterpieces

jakelovesyuna
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Re: Help in Battling

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Makokam on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:39 pm

I don't do much battling, so I don't know how much my advice is worth, but if you do the following things you should be alright.

Use common sense:If you get knocked to the ground, your next action has to be taken from ground
Visualize the battle and the arena:Keep your own and your opponents position in mind and how that relates to the landscape
You are more than your weapon: You have to fight with your whole body.
Obey the laws of physics: What goes up must come down
Cover Your Ass: Don't leave obvious openings. if you lose your sword and turn your back on your opponent to get it, turn back around once you get it. Pretend your character freezes in time after your post ends, and think how vulnerable you'd be.
Take a hit: C.Y.A doesn't mean avoiding damage. You can't dodge all the blows all time.
Do onto others:if what you're about to do would piss you off if you're opponent did it, odds are you shouldn't do it.
"Good and Evil" is too complicated. I prefer, "Us and Them".

"Munchkin: One who, on being told that this is a game about politics and intrigue in 17th century Italy, asks to play a ninja."

Hero or Villain? Savior or Destroyer? Model Citizen or Public Enemy? Who do you Wannabe?

Makokam
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Alright gang, any advice and tips you can offer Jake that can help him learn the intricacies of our writing genre would be greatly appreciated. And welcome Jake to the Training arena, I hope you get the advice and guidance you are looking for from among the duelist here.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

I havent been doing this long, and arent what you could call good yet, but here's what I've picked up so far.

First off, follow the rules. They're there for a reason. They protect you and your opponents from abusing the system.

Maneuverability is more important than power. - If your opponent cant hit you, he cant hurt you, and conversely, if you're consistently able to flank your enemy, you will eventually land a strike. So keep moving. Its important though, to only dodge what makes sense for your character. Anything else is cheating.

Keep the pressure on your opponent - Dont give your opponent any space or thinking time, unless you have a VERY good reason. 1. Because it allows them time to prepare their attacks etc. 2. Psychological pressure is a massive factor in making mistakes. If you're constantly hounding your opponent, he gets frantic and sloppy.

Be fully aware of what your equipment and skills can be used for - simple example; If you're holding a longbow and someone runs into point blank range, hit them with it. Wrap the cord around their neck, (expect it to break if you do this though) stab them in the face with an arrow, whatever you've got. Everything has multiple applications.

Fundamentals - Like Makokam said, common sense is key. Knowing how your body moves, and the basics of actual fighting will make your posts flow a whole lot better. Pay attention to what your opponent posts as well. Its more important than what you're doing.

Be gracious - No one likes fighting someone who refuses to take hits. It all adds to the excitement when your character gets a couple of scrapes. Dont be afraid to lose. Talk smack in character as much as you want, but dont confuse your opponents character with him.

Real world experience beats discussion - We can sit here all day talking. The best way to learn would be to post up in the battle arena, and have a fight. Be sure to tell 'em you're new to this, and start with low powers. You'll learn quickly. Its either that or get beat.

I'll be watching to see how you do. Good luck.
You know the goal. You know the path. The only thing that can stop you now is complacency. Go take what's yours.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:51 pm

I agree, Jake if you are interested in learning this kind of writing, link us a character and let us look it over. Then issue a challenge in the area. You can always use this OOC as a place to get ideas, advice and tips. Everyone here is willing to help each other to get better. There are a number of people who you can PM if you have some questions that you'd rather not have out on the boards, but everyone here is willing to help and teach you.

Skall

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Big Boss on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:42 pm

OriginalSix wrote:I havent been doing this long, and arent what you could call good yet, but here's what I've picked up so far.

Maneuverability is more important than power. - If your opponent cant hit you, he cant hurt you, and conversely, if you're consistently able to flank your enemy, you will eventually land a strike. So keep moving. Its important though, to only dodge what makes sense for your character. Anything else is cheating.

I don't know if speed is more important then power, what is the point of being fast if your attacks are to weak to hurt your opponent? You should try and find a good balance between speed and strength.

As for designing a character for battle, I tend to make my characters so that they can counter a certain class. Michael for example was designed to fight Sword fighters and Gunslingers, hes able to fight them with ease, but he is weak against magic users.

Big Boss
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:10 pm

Jace your new character is wonderfully wicked. The preamble to the character is perfect, I look forward to seeing the bear in battle. Excellent way to think outside the box and create something unique and entertaining.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!