Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Lacuna's Poem

a topic in Growth, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

New to the literary world? Just want to improve on your already strong literary background? Get tips on your language skills here.

Lacuna's Poem

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 pm

I am creating an elvish language for my novel, and occasionally, I like to randomly create a poem or a song to go in it. Created this one tonight. The translation is first because that's what I built the poem off of, it's a literal translation.

follow water
sister beside
need calls
make wounded
bodies, hearts
whole again

follow water
love fight
need calls
heart test
healing touch
immortal vows

beautiful healer

timalo pilmok
venshili roshiko
hilotic genta
yisho taluni
aloriso vashikso
ramol wanshok

timalo pilmok
minol koshi
hilotic genta
vashik malshinu
falmin ilaku
tokli daroso

yani falmina

Some basic rules for reading my elvish: think latin, with a bit of french thrown in (but never the final consonant rule in french). G's never make a j sound. I's make the long "e" sound, e's are always short.

Anyone who is thinking of criticizing the fact that I only used two words in each line, that was intentional. It is really hard to create a language and most of the words I had to create specifically for the poem.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby General Kale on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Its very Beautiful ... I love Elven , probalby the only person in my town that downloaded a Quenya(Sp) Font for Windows

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

General Kale
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 pm

Wow, it would almost be worth switching to windows just for that...

miyumi
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:32 am

For poetry to be effective, it must either tell a story or hit on some aspect of the writer's emotion. Yours seems to be trying to do both, but I am having difficulty in pulling it out. Assuming this does correspond to a story in your manuscript, would you provide a summary so we have a bit more context in which to evaluate this work?

Adding format to poetry (not necessarily directly corresponding to the rules of grammar) also helps ascribe it certain meanings, so you may want to consider capitalization, semi-colons, and other logical breaks to represent the flow of the words.

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:24 am

Offtopic - it's probably a TTF font, which means you should likely be able to use it on your Mac, too.

I don't think this is the Elven language of Tolkein lore, though. What is that called, Sindarin? I think Quenya and Tengwar are two different alphabets? It looks like Miyumi created her own (as she loves to do) elven.

Circ, excellent idea - I don't know if Miyumi intended it to lack them or not, but it certainly would augment the image portrayed here.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:10 am

Quenya and Tengwar are also Tolkien alphabets; Tengwar was for the Noldor and Quenya was for the Valar, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, they are available in TTF format. I have them on my computer.

I'll put them in a .zip folder and upload them for you when I get home. Try http://www.lagedorre.net/tolkien_fonts.zip -- if that doesn't work by tomorrow, send me a GMail, but I shouldn't forget.

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Eric,

Yes, this is with the elvish I created for my story. Occasionally, I like to write a poem or a song and translate it to elvish, which helps me build the dictionary. As I said, I had to create most of the words in the poem as I translated, but the ones that were already there are the same.

Circ,

Though I used the same language, it actually has nothing to do with the story and Kishalana, and everything to do with Lacuna in the Wing City rp. She "follows water" in that she follows the call of those who need her water-healing abilities. "Sister beside" is her tigress, Yani. The first stanza is simply about her life before she met Kale, following the call of those who need her to heal their bodies or their hearts, since she is an empath as well.

The second stanza is about meeting Kale. The first time she meets him is when he attacks Gambit's bar and she defends it. Then, after he joins their side, he is seriously hurt and she has her heart tested in that she is required to heal a former enemy. They end up getting married.

Elvish poetry is very different. I can translate the words literally, but they really don't take on their full meaning unless writen by and read by an elf, since the real elvish language puts the feeling behind the words, in how the letters are made. So Elvish poetry always follows a plot and the emotions felt by the main character of the plot. So, the translation I gave was the literal translation I used to create the poem in elvish. But the real meaning would be very different, more like full sentences. I'll try to do that a little later, right now I have to create a lesson plan before 5:30. (It's 3 by my clock)

miyumi
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm

The zip file is posted and available. Just unzip to c:\windows\fonts or wherever your font folder is located.

As to the English version of the poem, I can't wait to see it. ;]

Circ
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Okay, so this is a more true translation of the poem, if you translate it into first person. In the culture I created, elves tend to create poems about themselves at turning points, this would be her fourth turning-point poem. (1st when she got Yani, 2nd when she lost her twin and left her village, 3rd when she graduated training.)

Follow the watery call
with my sister at my side.
It is need that calls me
to take the broken
bodies and hearts I find
and make them whole again.

Follow the watery call
to fight a future love.
His need calls me
and tests my heart.
I give my healing touch,
for an exchange of immortal vows.

I am the beautiful healer.

miyumi
Member for 19 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!