Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

8 Signs That You’re A (Neurotic) Writer

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

8 Signs That You’re A (Neurotic) Writer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:01 am

Just for a bit of fun…

1. When you go shopping for clothing, you look for a nice robe — one that is fit to be seen in at 3 o’clock in the afternoon when you open the door to a stranger.

2. You have more than 10 pens… in every colour you can possibly find. And you’re always on the look out for the latest in pen technology — ball-point, gel, fountain, felt-tip — whatever it is, you buy it and try it…and then you give a critique on it.

3. Sometimes you send yourself into a frenzy looking for the felt-tip black pen when there is a perfectly useable blue ball-point pen in your line of sight. Sometimes it’s because of the sensory pleasure — the scratch and drag of the felt-tip on paper satisfies this need. And other times it’s simply superstition — you wrote 5000 words yesterday with that felt tip pen! Must have it now!

4. Sort of an extension of point 2. You have reams of different coloured writing paper in varying sizes, some are reinforced and some a ruled or lined. Oh yeah, you keep every single piece of paper that you print. You need to use the other side so you don’t hurt any more trees than you have to. Only, it begins to pile up because it constantly gets jammed in your printer.

5. An extension of points 2 and 4. You keep a variety of sizes, colours and brands of post-it notes. Well, ok, let’s face it, you are a stationery store.

6. You stare blankly at a window overlooking the garden or street for a full 5 minutes. You suddenly notice your significant other is waving their hands in front of your face and their mouth appears to be moving.

When you finally tune it to what they’re saying, you hear them ask ‘Are you alright?’, and you answer, ‘Yeah, I was just thinking’. True, you were thinking about your plot or characters. And then they kindly inform you they were worried because you were ‘thinking’ for 2 hours!

7. You pace up and down your corridor when you’re sure no-one is around. While you are pacing, you hear your characters talking to themselves inside your head… and um…yeah… it just so happens that your significant other hears it too!

8. You arrange your library in alphabetical order by title, then re-arrange it by author. Ahhh… then you start getting really sophisticated and begin re-arranging them into groups; fiction here, non-fiction there; fiction subdivided by genre and non-fiction divided into subject matter. In the process you discover you have more than one copy of books you were certain you didn’t have any copies of.

If you’ve got any more to add to this, feel free to share a comment.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: 8 Signs That You’re A (Neurotic) Writer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aryka on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:41 am

I have to say, that that is what I normally find myself doing sometimes. Mostly just numbers 2-4 and maybe number 7, by just a fraction.
Do you ever feel that whatever one of these wierd lists you look at, you always find at least one that you can relate to?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip'em the bird.

What are the three words guaranteed to humiliate men everywhere?
'Hold my purse.'

"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aryka
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:12 pm

That's most interesting, now I am worrying that I am in fact no sort of writer, neurotic or not, for the simple reason that I do none of those things. Should I worry?

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Tzoa on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:57 am

Wow. I'm wondering if I should be worried because I do all of those except numbers two and three. I type everything, so I go out and download all of the fonts I possibly can instead of going out and finding nifty pens. I like having the titles of each chapter in pretty fonts...

I don't think you should worry about it, Grim. A writer doesn't need fancy pens and paper to write. It's nice to have the robe, but not necessary, and you probably don't want to hear voices in your head or zone out for two hours straight. Be glad you're sane.

Lady Tzoa
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:20 am

Thank you Lady Tzoa, I am glad that you see my mental state as being sane. From the inside, however, if this is sanity frankly you can keep it :) I think I would prefer the neuroses and have the ability to string one word after the other in an entertaining, or funny, or scary, or whatever way. And as they say normal is boring.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Tzoa on Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm

If only we could switch mental states. I would love to be sane for a little while, at least. I think being a little insane helps all artists, no matter the field, but for writing you just need a little dose of it every now and then.

But... if you want the neuroses, then maybe you're not as sane as I thought. :D

Lady Tzoa
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aryka on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:14 pm

I have to agree on the pretty fonts, although, I also do really pretty colors too for my tittles and stuff.
But yea, sane is good, but sometimes being insane is more fun.

Aryka
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Tzoa on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Oh, I didn't even think of changing the colors! Thanks!

I think being sane can be more fun sometimes. That way you get to watch all of the insane people from a different perspective.

Lady Tzoa
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:12 am

I like to think of sanity as a good well made but not particularly attractive coat, something you can slip on and off when you need it.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Tzoa on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:09 pm

Heh, I like that. But, in the long run, I think I would rather wear something unattractive than be completely insane. Being sane isn't always fun, but it's nice... like a "security blanket", of sorts.

Lady Tzoa
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eymber on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:44 pm

What about when you have a notebook in every room of your house in case inspiration hits, and you have three in your car, and one in your briefcase/purse.

Or if you have collections of receipts with writing on them, from when you couldn't get to your notebook in time.

Or when you have a pen behind your ear 24-7

Or when you are at work and you realize that you haven't gotten any work done because Character A was arguing with Character B in your mind....

-=shrugs=- Maybe that's just me...
...Arise and be all that you dream....

Eymber
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:33 am

As time goes by and more people whose writing I think is good post here I realise that I was wrong and I a quite simply far too sane to be able to write.

Grim

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eymber on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am

LMFAO You make me smile. <3

Eymber
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Eymber wrote:LMFAO You make me smile. <3

And making you smile makes me happy, so we are both cheered. Maybe I am not as sane as I like to pretend

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RogueMinstrel on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

Remæus wrote:Just for a bit of fun…

1. When you go shopping for clothing, you look for a nice robe — one that is fit to be seen in at 3 o’clock in the afternoon when you open the door to a stranger.

2. You have more than 10 pens… in every colour you can possibly find. And you’re always on the look out for the latest in pen technology — ball-point, gel, fountain, felt-tip — whatever it is, you buy it and try it…and then you give a critique on it.

3. Sometimes you send yourself into a frenzy looking for the felt-tip black pen when there is a perfectly useable blue ball-point pen in your line of sight. Sometimes it’s because of the sensory pleasure — the scratch and drag of the felt-tip on paper satisfies this need. And other times it’s simply superstition — you wrote 5000 words yesterday with that felt tip pen! Must have it now!

4. Sort of an extension of point 2. You have reams of different coloured writing paper in varying sizes, some are reinforced and some a ruled or lined. Oh yeah, you keep every single piece of paper that you print. You need to use the other side so you don’t hurt any more trees than you have to. Only, it begins to pile up because it constantly gets jammed in your printer.

5. An extension of points 2 and 4. You keep a variety of sizes, colours and brands of post-it notes. Well, ok, let’s face it, you are a stationery store.

6. You stare blankly at a window overlooking the garden or street for a full 5 minutes. You suddenly notice your significant other is waving their hands in front of your face and their mouth appears to be moving.

When you finally tune it to what they’re saying, you hear them ask ‘Are you alright?’, and you answer, ‘Yeah, I was just thinking’. True, you were thinking about your plot or characters. And then they kindly inform you they were worried because you were ‘thinking’ for 2 hours!

7. You pace up and down your corridor when you’re sure no-one is around. While you are pacing, you hear your characters talking to themselves inside your head… and um…yeah… it just so happens that your significant other hears it too!

8. You arrange your library in alphabetical order by title, then re-arrange it by author. Ahhh… then you start getting really sophisticated and begin re-arranging them into groups; fiction here, non-fiction there; fiction subdivided by genre and non-fiction divided into subject matter. In the process you discover you have more than one copy of books you were certain you didn’t have any copies of.

If you’ve got any more to add to this, feel free to share a comment.

I am happy to say that I only exhibit symptoms of number 6 and 7. xD I do like the way some pens feel when they drag across the paper but I've never needed a particular pen or a particular piece of paper in order to write. I could write out a short story on a napkin with a pencil if the mood suddenly struck me. I have arranged my personal library a few times (#8) but I never think to that extent.

Still, a hilarious list. Makes me think of Stranger Than Fiction (possibly the only Will Ferrell movie I've ever liked).

RogueMinstrel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!