Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Grand Tournament

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

The Grand Tournament

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:45 pm

For many years combatants have sought to become the best, whether in competitive spirit or by vengeance upon some miscreant. Legends have been written, egos have swollen, and friendships destroyed. Rivalries settled, vengeance sought, and righteousness served. To what end, an outsider might ask. Even those who have maintained an elite status often come to the realization that they're all big fish in small ponds, and would venture to 'retire' rather than to seek other grounds for challenge.

It is therefore with great honor that I have the privelage to announce to everyone here the Grand Tournament, meant to settle the ultimate score. Aiming high to round up fighters from all places, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, IRC networks, and individual communities all across the internet... this Grand Tournament will decide who among all is the best. With three divisions and a base set of combat rules that can apply to all styles of combat, fighters of all backgrounds are welcome in this tournament. If there is an unaddressed concern with anything, we can accomodate you. The Speed division will be bracketed for, intuitively, speed fighters only. The Turn Based division will also be bracketed as such, while the Elite division will be comprised of fighters who are willing to fight both. Division champions will be announced, and then will be crossed over each other in a final set of matches titled the "Final Feud".

This announcement is to serve as the central meeting place for this chapter of the Grand Tournament, and should be regarded as an official invitation to all members of this community to join the Grand Tournament. Entrants may venture to the official tournament site, http://gwing.net/grand - to review rules and register for the tournament. Dicussion related to this chapter of invitees should be held here, as well as questions, comments, and stipulations about the Grand Tournament in general.

As an invited chapter, individuals who are willing to represent this chapter may enter the tournament as such, bringing home glory for their chapter if they advance into the rounds far enough to leave a mark, win their division, or being declared the World Champion. The tournament will last for an extended period of time, so that all fighters have time to prepare and make themselves available. Preliminaries, consisting of the entire pool of entrants, will determine the rankings of the fighters as they enter the bracket stages for their divisions. All further information can be found upon the living rules document, http://www.writely.com/View.aspx?docid= ... vh_1g9hjhw

I apologize if I have not placed this in the correct location, or if this is declared as advertisement. If so, please move it to the appropriate place or contact me for questions.

Eric Martindale, Tournament Orchestrator
AIM: viasangre
MSN: eric.martindale@gmail.com
Yahoo: eric.martindale
Google: eric.martindale
Email: eric.martindale@gmail.com
Telephone: Upon request.
Last edited by Remæus on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Qualifiers are now open, and will last until October 3rd (tentative). During this time, tournament registration is open. Anyone interested in joining is allowed to do so.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby General Kale on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:28 pm

I sign up for TB Bracket Divison

General Kale
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quickhand on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 am

Okay, everyone has signed up, so when do we fight?

Quickhand
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:14 pm

You challenge people using this system.

http://gwing.net/grand/games.php

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Horus_Child on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:09 pm

I would like to sign up for the TurnBased section.. Contact me at HorusChild_Orik@hotmail.com

So yeah, hit me up for that..

Horus_Child
Member for 18 years
Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:13 am

There has been a small change to the rules, and any participants should note that supernatural weapons are no longer prohibited.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 pm

The orchestrators have decided to permit each chapter to submit judges. Judges may not be in the tournament. If you have experience in a diverse range of combat styles, contact me for details.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:54 am

Eric Martindale wrote:The orchestrators have decided to permit each chapter to submit judges. Judges may not be in the tournament. If you have experience in a diverse range of combat styles, contact me for details.

=) I'll judge. Normally I'd compete in these things, buuuut... Something will probably come up like always which will force me to drop out, so judging will have to do.
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Done. You've been added. I'm assuming you know where everything is...?

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 am

So can I still join in.

Midnight
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:07 am

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 am

Registration is now closed. No new games can be created.

The countdown begins for the start of the Grand Tournament. Everyone has 48 hours to come to a closing point on any currently running games, at which point ALL matches will be validated and we will proceed according to plan.

I will have bracket announcements up for both the Speed and the Turn Based divisions at 12AM, October 9th. That's this coming Monday. This will be the beginning of round 1, and all matches will be given 21 days to come to a decision. Note the rules, and that a witness must be present at ALL matches. Produce transcripts if possible. These matches can take place ANYWHERE, so long as there is a witness present.

Good luck, everyone.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Plague on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:44 pm

Haha, finally...I've been waiting for this. I bid good luck to everyone. This is gonna be fun. Finally time for the fireworks. No holding back now, time to make some memories, time to rise, time to be a hero...

Blood is in the air...can you smell it?

Plague
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:46 pm

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:33 pm

Round one has ended, and over 40 people have been eliminated as we enter Round 2 - "Subjugation". Good luck to everyone.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 am

We're at the end of Round Two, with a matter of hours left before we enter Round 3 - "Affliction". It looks like the speed division is ready to enter the semifinals, with four big names winning the seeds. The semifinals are ready to go, and will result with just two speed fighters left. These two fighters will head to the final match to determine the best speed fighter.

Congratulations and Good Luck to:
Takezo, the "Pride" Champion, versus Miyamoto Musashi, the "Wrath" Champion
Relentless, the "Legacy" Champion, versus Circ, the "Conquest" Champion

In the Turn Based division, we have some serious competition. When we enter Round 3, we will still have around 16 fighters remaining. There are some amazing contenders, and speculation is abound when sizing up the possible winners. Feel free to post your own projections, but remember that we've had a big number of upsets so far. I will post the Round 3 brackets as soon as they are announced, and will keep this Chapter of the Grand Tournament up to date as it progresses.

So far, this has been a wonderful tournament, and I'd like to thank our sponsors for helping us get it off the ground.

Aoyn
AnimeLeague
GWing
HWF
Metawerx
MinusThePapercuts
SkilledRoleplayers

Without the support of these guys, we wouldn't be able to have this tournament. My gratitude is extended for your continued support as we work our way towards determining the champions.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am

Round 3 - "Affliction" has begun. Good luck!

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DemonHunterSK on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:38 pm

Ahh crap...wish I got on sooner, I missed the deadline...ok then Message me when we got another one or something, would love to see what my old fart self can remember.

DemonHunterSK
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:18 pm

The GT League is now open for its first season.

GT League Rules

We have elected to not reset the scores from the qualifying rounds, nor have we purged the old list of participants. However, the inactivity or no response rules do apply, allowing those who are no longer interested to be weeded out.

League registration and removal can be managed via the GT League Group Page. Potential participants may join the group to automatically be added to the league, or may leave the group to be removed from the league. Abuse of this privilege will result in punishment and the potential removal of freedom from joining and parting the league.

Currently, the league format is only open for turn based fights. However, this does not prevent other styles from using the system as a form of wager for their own fights.

Fighters from other sites are welcome and are encouraged to register for the league and then take their fights to another site. We would like to fully endorse any matches taking place on our sponsor sites, and our judges will support any matches taking place on these sites.

Chapters of the GT League may be created on other sites as an invitation to the fighters of that site to use the system - hopefully encouraging inter-site mingling to get a better scope on the real level of fighters across the internet.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!