Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The State of Things

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The State of Things

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 am

Whatever happened to the days of random storylines being woven out of nothing? For those of you who remember AM and our "Fighter's Corner", these spontaneous RPs were crucial to our activity. The Kakera Sisters, The Ultimates, Remy's Bar - all of these are memories we've held dear for quite some time. I say that it is time we forge new and equivalently memorable stories, bring back the age of unscripted (for the most part) roleplay. Let's stir up this stagnant beehive that is our chat, show these IRC kids what it's all about.

And yes, I'm fully aware of most of our changed interests and busy schedules. If you stay with me until the end, we can get the ball rolling with only minor sacrifices, and start something that we can be proud of - as I'm sure it'll snowball once people see how it's done.

I attempted to start something like this called Justicating Light with Arcus, but Kyoshiro barrelled through, and I had to stop him afterwards to try and save the momentum. Unfortunately, it looks like it stopped dead in the water, as Kyoshiro hasn't carried it on. We'll need to come up with some fairly original ideas to get people interested and not so hell-bent on fighting and killing anything that's unique to them.

Who's with me?
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mercenary on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:54 am

I'm all for bringing back roleplay. And when I say role-play, i don't mean a bunch of DBZesque giggle-faggotry that consists of grunting and smack-talk before going into another bout of text humping.

I'd really like to see who can write a good story and remain as a consistent character in it. I'd like to see people willing to play secondary characters designed to push the story. Sometimes RPers have a tendency to hog the spotlight, with the idea that the story is all their own, but I digress...

Yeah, let's do something.
"War is my business...and business is good."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mercenary
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:45 am

Well, roleplay isn't DEAD, it's just way overscripted, and only happens when sanctioned, in certain rooms, on certain forums, and isn't quite the way it should be. I suppose I'm trying to bring back the spontanaeity of it all, rather than bolstering the roleplay community. We already have a good community, both here on the forums and in the chat. Unfortunately, the chat RP happens at very random times with four or maybe five people, and then nobody hears about it. Each is often tied to a specific storyline - nothing against that - and requires that certain people be present, etc. I'd love for a summary of what happens in these RPs to be posted here on the forums, so people who have conflicting schedules can enjoy them as well, and perhaps have more of a chance of participating.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 am

There was one general thing that bound all those storylines together. Not so much a continuous world as a continuous mindset for the characters -- people who knew one another stayed knowing one another, yadda. So when the Ultimates were attacked, friends of the Ultimates stepped behind them, and likewise for the Bar. By the converse, longstanding grudges usually culminated in one party forming up a faction or posse against the other. I don't really remember the Kakera Sisters, unfortunately. X_x.

Count Zhelir and Rain in.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eiji` on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm in, if you'll have me.
Raw poems, bury your body in catacombs.
Rip your soul from your limbs like brims from Jip Jones.

In the Twilight Zone, we disperse cowards.
Vampires that stalk earth on reversed hours.

Eiji`
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Absolutely. And hey, it's up to you guys now to continue the action, as Arcus is dead, and as per usual, Master is apathetic.

Everyone - please, feel free to go into chat, stir up some dust and contribute to the storyline, then go to that topic to post the advancement.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TehDerek on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Well guys, bad news, i'm back. Yes, Eric has asked me to come back and ATTEMPT at getting somethin' go'in. Kinda' stupid, no?

'Specially when i've got assholes throwin' planets at me....

Anyways, lets get to the point. After quite a fueled argument with Eric via AIM, he says he hates structure, but I think the place needs it.

So, we kinda' met halfway on it. He says his problem is with the new people. The site gets alotta' trafficing but the problem is that people don't stick around. I'll be setting up a kinda' start up program for the newcomers and for others that would like to introduce new characters.

I really need to look around a bit more, this place is such a fucking mess that it aint even funny....x.x

TehDerek
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Juno Starwind on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Maybe so many new people wouldn't leave if you actually checked out their Rps.

Cause you know what? I'm new here, but I certainly am not new to roleplaying. And If anything will help, I have about 15 Roleplay ideas to be used. You want me to list 'em? No? Well, too bad I'm doing it anyways.

A mafiosi Rp, which so far only ONE PERSON has decided to make a character...*

Theres a fantasy medieval europe vampire Rp...

A spy espionage trilogy about the eventful life of a secret agent for a secret government agency*

A fantasy realm trilogy one about a pickpocket who would become a myth, a pair of demon slayers and the gaggle of friends they would meet in their travels, and the third one is pending...

A sci-fi war between humans and aliens...*

A sci-fi adventure about a legendary outlaw trying to clear his name...*

A warring states period of Japan rp with samurais and ninjas galore. Tied in somewhat with the fantasy realm.

(All stories ending with a star are part of the same universe)

And I'm sure there are some I don't remember...

In any case, I'll do my best to help.
"Crawl out of one hole, and fall into another, deeper one, breaking your bones on the way down, while a bunch of people above you toss in grenades."-Juno Starwind, TLoJS

Juno Starwind
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:08 am

Midnight is always interested in a good rp.

Midnight
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:14 am

I agree with Juno, for sure.

Let's take an active interest in what newcomers do. Go out of our way to nurture them.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marten on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:19 pm

Nuture me, my friends.

Marten
Member for 18 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!