Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What Systems Would you want to See an auto combat app cover?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

What Systems Would you want to See an auto combat app cover?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GamersCortex on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm in the process of designing a web based app to handle combat and skill rolls, as well as characters and GM functions, and am curious what other systems I should code for?

Right now I have coding for Pathfinder and my own home-brewed system. What would you want to see?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

GamersCortex
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter

Re: What Systems Would you want to See an auto combat app co

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Hey there, GamersCortex! Welcome to RolePlayGateway. This is an interesting question you've posed to the community.

I may be barking up the wrong tree completely with what you mean, but having an app for my phone rather than one just on a web page would be handy. When people D&D in some cases it may be more convenient to have a phone on-hand than a laptop, or something.

Someone more versed in this particular field may be able to answer you better. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Pathfinder would be my first. Standard D&D 3.5 would probably also be a good idea. Those are the two biggies for me. And, of course, there's D&D 4e. I don't play it myself, or at least I haven't yet, but a lot of people do.

M&M and BESM would be neat although I'm not sure whether enough people would need them to justify putting in the work. I know BESM is fairly popular. I myself haven't gotten the chance to play either yet, but that's mostly for lack of group, so I'd be interested in something that could handle them.

You also might want to tack in a general dice roller that covers the various types of polyhedrals. That way, those whose games aren't covered can still use your application if they know what kind of rolls they need. I'm interested in a lot of weird games that very few want to bother coding specifics for, myself. xD
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GamersCortex on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm

I should have been a little more specific ViceVersus, yes it will be made for smartphones and tablets, for the very reasons you suggest.

Marionette: I stopped playing 3.5 before Pathfinder got popular, but I think coding for both PF and 3.5 would be a fairly easy thing. 4.0 sounds like the next step, but I too am largely unfamiliar with the system.

Thanks for the feedback. It's an ongoing pole.

If you're interested, you can see it here http://gamerscortex.blogspot.com

GamersCortex
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:25 pm

4.0 might be out the door soon...I'm hearing from some of my gamer friends that WotC is trying to acquire the rights to Pathfinder or something like that, because that's what their guys are playing in the office instead of 4e.

You'll definitely want to throw something together for GURPS. Best part of that system is that you only have to worry about d6, though the whole idea of rolling low for skills and rolling high for damage is pretty counter-intuitive at first.

Logic of a roll-low system: You have a number that represents your skill in a certain area. That number is like the DC of a roll. Modifiers are applied to your base skill depending on the difficulty of the task...for example, a difficult task would impose -2 to your SKILL instead of adding +2 to the DC. Then you roll the dice, and if the total is lower than your character's modified skill, you succeed. As you can see, as the number goes higher, your character's chances of success at any given roll go up.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!