Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

[OOC] - Alpha Squadron

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] - Alpha Squadron

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am

In-game RP can be found here.

Welcome to the Alpha Squadron OOC thread. Here is where you will learn the basic rules of in-game combat while flying your fighter. If you are interested in signing up, please post your application here, and you will be welcomed aboard. However, the only requirements from you are the following:

1. You have good RP experience.
    2. You can visualize (for the map).
    3. You are open for a new concept, and of course, mistakes.
    4. You REGULARLY post at least once a day!
    5. You are HONEST and are not tempted to cheat.

Here is the application, it is short, don't worry I don't need a full description about you:

Application
    Name:

Finally keep in mind that I've never done this before, so you will all be taking part of a test. So yes, there will be problems and bug issues, but I know everyone here's creative, so we can work around it. If you have suggestions, tell them too!

Okay, so the following posts will be how to play. Remember, any questions just post away.

Thanks!

RULES

This will be a turned based system, in which everyone will post in a certain order, followed by me at the end to post what is happening in the story. I will not be a flight member, but the ground commander as well as controlling the story and the enemy units. As you can guess, all you characters will be part of a fighter squadron.

As such, although you have names, when in flight, will refer to each other as Alpha 1, Alpha 2, etc. You're all in the same flight, so work together! Also, after each flight, there will be a debriefing post, made by me.

Grid

The gameplay, I hope, is going to be simple to understand. When you're actually in flight or on the ground, posting will work like a normal RP, free to do as you wish (story buildling!). However, when engaged in battle, I will post the Radar in which you will all share.

This will take a bit of visualizing, so try hard not to get confused.

For example, a one on one battle grid may look like this, although the grid will be larger:

Movement

During battle, you will be able to do the following actions. You will post your actions after you write up your actual RP portion of the post. The following commands are:

Move:
This is simple moving along the grid. Default allows you to move three squares. Upgrading you aircraft will change various stats on your fighters to be more advanced.

Action: Move [Up 2 / Left 1]

Boost:
Boosting is similar to moving, except you will be able to move two more square more on your current movement ability. So since default is three squares, you can boost up to five. However, you will not be able to fire or lock unto any targets that turn.

Action: Boost [Up 2 / Left 1 / Up 2 ]

Fire:
You will be able to fire after you move (but not if you boost). The default amount is two squares away. The success rate is a random number that utilizes the enemy fighter's speed (to be able to evade).

Action: Fire [Enemy 2]

Evade:
You can evade if you a missile as been either targeted or fired at you.

Action: Evade [success/fail]

Lock:
If you have any missiles with you, you will be able to lock unto a target. The default amount is four squares away, and for the sake of simplicity, the locked target will not be able to move out of the range to break the lock. However, you will have to wait one turn before firing.

Once the missle is in the air, the target will have a chance to evade the missile and can possibly use Chaff (if they have it) to assist them.

Home Base and Credits

When you are at a base, the RP will continue story-wise. Also, you can also request upgrades to your ships to increase the stats, which will increase your combat abilities. You can purchase upgrades through the use of in-game currency, called credits. You can earn credits by:

100 C - Destroying an enemy
    50 C - Assisting
    50 C - Aiding a teammate
    - Mission Completion Awards -
    (I can add more, suggestion me)

Ship Statistics

So when you're in combat, you will have some stats that will determine success. Here is the list of those stats and each one of them do. These are the default starting statistics as well.

Hull (HP) - This is your general life. Reach zero and you'll be forced to eject. Although, this is an RP, so anything can happen!

Shields - The stronger it is, the less damage you take.

Engine - Determines how far you can move.

Guns - Determines how far you can shoot and damage you can give.

Targetting - Determines how far and well you can lock unto a target.

When you post, you will simply post the your stats at the end (only when you're in combat). Any upgrades to your ship will automatically increase the relative stats, and any damage that has been done will change your HP.

For example, the starting stats are:

Alpha 2:

HP [100]
    Shield [1]
    Engine [3]
    Guns [2]
    Target[4]

Credits: 200
    Missles: 6
    Chaff :3

Battle System Program

I know you're wondering right now after reading all of this, how exactly is the battle success determined? Well, I've created a very simple engine that determines the success based on the above stats. It's also dynamic, so any upgraded stats will also help your chances. Keep in mind, it's not really been tested ... so bear with me.

You can see the engine by clicking here.

On the left, Guns is for if you are firing with your regular weapons, and it will calculate the damage done if success. Missile below that will calculate damage done, and finally, Evade will allow you to evade an incoming missile.

Remember, any damage you caused to the enemy must be stated within the RP post, so that I can change their HP's. Also, any missiles you've used or chaff deployed, must be stated and subtracted from the amount you show in your stats.

And please don't cheat, this is where you possibly can. If you used Chaff, say so, and please don't keep trying until you have hit the target then say you did. Only run the program once, and if you miss, oh well, better luck next time. Don't ruin it by retrying!

[hr][hr]
Conclusion

Okay, I know that was a lot to take in, but I think that was necessary in order to fully understand what is about to take place. Remember, if there are any questions, just post away and I will answer them. Suggestions are welcomed as well.

Here is an example of the layout of your RP post when in combat:

---------
    RP Post
    ----------
    Action Post Examples
    Fire: [Enemy3] - Success/Fail - [X damage]
    ----------
    Stats Post
    Alpha 2:

HP [100]
    Shield [1]
    Engine [3]
    Guns [2]
    Target[4]

Credits: 200
    Missles: 6
    Chaff :3
    ----------
    OOC Post
    (I know there's this OOC thread, but use this post just to clarify anything, since it might get complicated)

As for the radar, I will update it after everyone has made their move, which is why you will need a bit of visualizing, so that you don't end up sharing squares. If that's the case (it's bound to happen), I will simply move the 'bumper' over one grid tile.

Well, simple enough, right? :D
Last edited by Osteel on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Osteel
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: [OOC] - Alpha Squadron

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Butterfly Effect on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:06 pm

this looks interesting though I'm kinda confused about it. Like how to you know if you it or miss? Also what are the fighters like? like modern F-whatevers? or future fighters?
"I pledge allegiance to Max and the power for which she stands"
-Chloe Price

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Butterfly Effect
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Helmsman Arc Warden Storyteller Novelist Property Buyer Lifegiver Beta Tester Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uchiha Min-no-ko on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:44 pm

W00T! Finally!

Name: Allix Fitch
Description: Easy going and composed, never surprised. When not in uniform or flying, she dresses in Lolita. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Uchiha Min-no-ko
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Ice, I'm assuming you read it all. haha. But I guess you missed the part where it talks about the battle engine, you can see it however, by clicking here.

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Butterfly Effect on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:05 pm

oh ok I thought it was just an image my bad

Name: Shadow Graves
Description: mix of emo and goth, tends to keep to himself. He is always wearing black. He is 5 foot 11 with black hair and green eyes

Butterfly Effect
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Promethean World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal Group Theory Helmsman Arc Warden Storyteller Novelist Property Buyer Lifegiver Beta Tester Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PanzerJedi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Name: Karl Ernst
Description: 5'9", short brown hair and ice blue eyes. Always dresses in uniform, regardless of situation. Circumstances determine what kind he's in. Fairly laid back, but can be quite the stickler for regulations.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

PanzerJedi
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11 pm

That makes three so far, will wait and see if anyone joins in. If not, I shall post the actual Roleplay tomorrow. As for call-signs, I will designate them first to the Interest Check joiners, and then to the people who joined through the OOC.

Thanks everyone, keep your eye here to know when the RP has begun! Any last minute questions, be sure to ask them. :)

Oh by the way Uchiha, 16 is rather young to be flying. Although I don't want to be mean and take away your characters age, so let's agree that your character is a flight academy prodigy. One of the youngest to ever graduate and make her way into Alpha Squadron. :D

Sorry, I should have mentioned. The fighters are not your typical modern jet fighters. They are just more sci-fi looking, although they fire and fly like a normal fighter (no lasers and stuff). Ugh, I used to have an awesome picture, but I can't find it. I'll describe them a bit at the start of the RP.

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dashmiel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Application
Name: Artemis Gray

Description: Artemis is a quiet and intelligent man. When he does talk, he generally has a smart ass comment to make. Black shoulder length hair, caramel colored skin, and green eyes. Stands at a height of six feet, and has a runners body. Quick thinking, loyal, and mature, Artemis has no problems getting the job done and watching out for his comrades. Usually dresses in denim jeans with a tight black shirt. Is also fond of beach shorts and going shirtless when the situation allows (I.E.: No Commanding officers around, R&R, ETC.)

(That's as short as I can make it...And still my hands are itching for me to write more lol. Looking forward to this RP, like the innovation, and it seems easily enough to grasp. My only concern is the battle engine, but I guess we'll find out how that works as we go eh?)

Dashmiel
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PanzerJedi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

One question, with combat, will you be figuring out all the results or will we need to figure them out for ourselves and post them? Hope that makes sense.

PanzerJedi
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Haha, if you have suggestions as to how to program it better, then by all means give me some equations. I tested it, and I think it is fair, but honestly, we won't find out until we actually give it a try.

If it's the case where you always miss, well then I'll fix it. Although, if you keep missing, that would mean the enemy would be missing a lot as well. But in the end, we don't want battles lasting forever. :D

Anyways, just so you know, the opening will be you fighting some drones as training, That'll give you a sense of how to use the battle system and post and stuff, and don't worry they won't be firing back at you. haha.

Jedi, you will determine the damage caused to the enemy. Since I'm controlling the enemy, I will be determining the damaged caused to Alpha Squadron.

So as you read, there are two ways for you to do damage, through Guns and Missiles. Guns are done in your turn, and no wait time is needed. All you have to do is RP your post and make during the action portion, simply state what your turn action is. Missiles require you to wait for one turn before firing, then the target will get a chance to evade, and if unsuccessful, will take damage.

You then run the 'hud' engine I provided, and it'll determine how much damage you caused. So, it will look something like this:

Fire: [Enemy#] - Success [or] Miss - [X Damage Caused]

So you will state you are firing, what enemy you're firing at, and if it's a success, how much damage you did to that unit. This is why it takes a bit of visualizing, although once everyone has completed their turn, then I will update the enemies HP, or blow up the dead ones.

But try to make sure that you're not firing at an enemy that someone before you has already shot down. I know, it's confusing, but hopefully it'll become routine.
Last edited by Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PanzerJedi on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Well I can't wait to get started. I've been playing Ace Combat 6 recently, and it's really getting me geared up for this. Just as a heads up, I'll probably only be able to post in the evening, and some evenings I might not be able to get anything up. If I know I'll be away for a while though, I'll let you know.

PanzerJedi
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Okay that's fine, as long as it doesn't die haha. I really want to see if this can go anywhere. By the way, check the previous post, I edited it to answer your question.

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dashmiel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

It seems to work fairly well (at least with the default values) being giving it a few goes. That sounds like a very good opening idea. Also, glad to know we won't be getting shot down on our first battle run as a squad :lol: .

Dashmiel
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Haha for sure. Also it looks like there will be four people in this Squadron if nobody signs up by tomorrow. I guess that's perfect, you can make groups of two, and help support each other.

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dashmiel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 pm

I got to go for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow. Also, I think I found an issue with the Battle Engine. I find that the damage done by the missiles and guns are almost the same. It might be that I used it wrong, but just thought I'll give you a heads up. Since missiles take two turns to use, I figure the damage should be higher to justify their use. Anyways, good night.

Dashmiel
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:19 am

Okay, I got bored so I posted the RP. Let's get things rolling!

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Butterfly Effect on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:28 am

Osteel wrote:Haha for sure. Also it looks like there will be four people in this Squadron if nobody signs up by tomorrow. I guess that's perfect, you can make groups of two, and help support each other.

I'll be helping the girl ;)

Butterfly Effect
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brovo on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:30 am

May I join you on your Adventures? If it's not too late of course.

I could just be "The new guy" or something. I looked at the battle engine, and I actually rather like it. Although I have a suggestion for the "Credits" section.

Some actions should gain Credits without direct action. [I,E: Combat.] Examples of this could be something like starting, following through with, and finishing Patrol duty for X amount of Credits. Orrr "Active Duty" where even though the Player might not have gotten into any battles recently you can still gain Credits, sort of like in the Military. Just a small amount like say 10 Credits per hour/day/week or something. I dunno. Just, say, if someone were to run out of Credits before they could repair their Fighter's weapons or something. That could be a problem.

Otherwise, Consider me signed up doc. Because this looks like a brilliant, original idea. :D

Name: Marcus "Firefly" Wrathseeker.
Description: Marcus when off duty generally wears baggy pants, usually a cross between green and brown. He also usually wears a plain white T-shirt, with typical black Sneakers and Gym socks. His Black Hair is short, really short, like Military Buzzcut short. You could consider him the "new guy" in the sense that he was just asigned to Alpha Squad. Caucasian colored Skin, deep dark blue eyes, and being 5'10 complete his look of being your average Guy. Marcus got the Nickname "Firefly" because one day during a training exercise in the middle of the night, his Engines lit aflame due to a malfunction. So he lit up the Night sky, just as a Firefly would.

Most if not all of this Character's History/Personality will be revealed in the Roleplay.

Edit: Oh man, if this isn't in space I'm gonna slap myself silly.. Because you kept saying "Ship" but you never
specifically mentioned if it was in space or not.. >.<..
Edit #2: I guess it's not in space. Please don't use "Ship" please use "Aircraft". That confused me to no end. Sooo I edited all the space stuff out.. At least, I think I did.. If I didn't tell me and I'll go fix it again. >.>
I only teach those willing to learn.

Brovo
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Osteel on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am

Brovo, you're welcome to join, you'll be Alpha 5. And I'm really sorry, I didn't realize that that using the word would confuse with spaceships, but you're right I shouldn't have. Anyways, yeah, it's not space flight, it'll take place in the air.

The reason being, is that you can easily put obstacles in, and objectives in, since there is a 'land' portion, rather then the vastness of space.

Sorry again, you'll post 5th in the RP after Shadow (Ice). Welcome!

And you're right about the credits. But I mean, if it really comes down to digging deep within the wallets just to restock ammo, I can always give credits out. This is an RP, and not following strict programmed rules, so anything can happen really. ;)

Okay I'm changing the rules a bit (or I think I am). You do not have to post in call-sign order, unless you are in combat. So when on the ground, or in flight, you are free to post, but please make it only two posts max before letting everyone else post once.

So, you're free to post your intro posts. I really hope this works haha ... have faith. >.>

Sorry, forgot to mention. Please keep an eye on the 'update' board at the top of the RP. It'll give important information, so go check it out! :)

Osteel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PanzerJedi on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Just a quick question, but what rank is everyone. I figure since we're pilots, we'd all be officers, but are we all the same rank or do some of us have higher ranks? Also, what are our base stats again?

PanzerJedi
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!