Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Curse Ye, O Murderer of Roleplays

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Curse Ye, O Murderer of Roleplays

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 pm

First of all, it feels extremely good to finally consult you guys.

Second: After responding to a thread on purple prose in writing, I had an epiphany. You know how addicts eventually reach that moment of truth before checking into rehab? No? Okay, that's a terrible metaphor, but I've realized that I have my fair share of issues. Roleplay should be a lot of things, but it shouldn't be a chore. I love writing, I really do; I joined this site to improve my storytelling, to learn from others, and to become part of the community. Life happened. Since then, I find myself getting more excited at the prospect of an idea, usually going so far to conceptualize a character for the game, than the actual execution of the story. Lack of posts ensue. Mentors Ylanne and Maestro can attest to this.

I suppose what this all boils down to is me wanting my sexy back. I'm tired of straining over simple responses. I'm tired of being overly conscious. I want to work on...everything. If that seems awfully vague, well, that's because it is. Scatter-shot brains'll do that to you.

Oh, and to kill future headaches, I can just go by Tae. <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Re: Curse Ye, O Murderer of Roleplays

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Possibly the most effective approach to crafting a reply to a roleplay is describing what happened in the post(s) previous through the filter of your character's senses. Take note of what he saw and heard, with the other senses coming into play when appropriate (as you may know, the vast majority of the incoming information to our brains is visual in nature, with auditory cues being a somewhat distant second).

Related to this approach is how to describe it when your character performs a complex action. In this case, an effective tactic is to emulate the desired course of action yourself. Take note of any parts of the motion you find difficult, which muscles you're using, and so forth. When you're done, you should be able to use that kind of detail to make the action seem more vivid and important to the substance of the post in the reader's mind.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 am

Tæ, dear. I used to do the same. Fill a post with crap. Just a big hunka chunk of purple poo. But now I know what to do and what not to do. If you are looking to get away from the gross filler, then I can most assuredly help you with that. How did a user tell me one day... I think it was abedlamsun...

"I need to insert more powerful actions than flashy adjectives" Not the same words, but the same idea.

And I can definitely help with all the other stuff. I'd like to stroke my own ego here and say that I know what the hell I am doing when it comes to RP.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:30 pm

That is beautiful advice, QB, and I'll surely take it to heart. Introversion is normally a huge focus in my replies, so much so that sensory writing is a bit more difficult to come by. But I'll practice it certainly. Thank you so much!

Skoooo, I think you're following me! Are you my guardian h'angel? *0*

Glad to see that someone with her fair share of experience used to be in the same rut. I would love to stroke your ego , yes I would.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:31 pm

I am not following yo- okay maybe a little bit. But no, really I am just trying to be more diverse in the forums now-- Join Burden City and I shall teach you everything you are doing wrong >_> That or Pandora. It just depends on your style, if you don't want to do that particular forum, or the chat RP, then we can establish a 1x1 for me to interactively aid you. Up to you Wife.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:56 am

Hnnrgh, but Burden City is centered on Slenderman, and shit's fucked up, yo. Pandora is just too cool for me. Huge congrats on making the top rated roleplays, by the way. <3

A one on one sounds posilutely great, actually. Do you think we might be able to schedule something?

(I forgot to mention how adorable your new avie is. Daaaw.)

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:29 am

Hmmkay, Wife. The a new 1x1 it is...

Would you rather prefer play by post for this? Also, I can fit to your schedule, I'm rather available at all times until November.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Play by post sounds dandy! Could we schedule it some time closer to next week? I have less chance of disappearing that way.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Yup yup, sure can do that, lovely.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I don't know if this will provide any insight, but short posts usually (as QB said) have to do with a lack of introspection. But you must keep in mind that too much introspection can also be filler. What you must ask yourself before you write it down is 'Will this DO anything for the character or the plot?'

1.) Will they arrive at an epiphany?
2.) Will they make some sort of decision that will change the outcome of the sequence?
3.) Will what they're thinking (or doing in reaction) change their perspective on something in particular? A scene, a character?
4.) Will it provide insight for readers into how your character's mind works? (Showing that they're particularly cold, logical, emotionally irrational, careless, etc)
5.) Does it show a change in the character's train of thought that will affect their personality? (i.e.: They see somebody get murdered, the action has wound down and they're alone in an apartment, not much to post about: can you make an introspective observation about how what they saw has begun to change them as a person?)

If it does not do any of this, then you're left with one other possibility:

6.) Even if it does not provide anything necessarily productive to the plot itself, does the introspection pull the reader in and give them some sort of understanding of the character, or the ability to relate the character to themselves? (i.e.: is it interesting without being superfluous?)

Creating nice posts out of virtually nothing, especially when people give you 'nothing' to post to, is sometimes difficult. But it's something that comes with a lot of practice. You have to break down the post and question yourself about what your character is seeing through their eyes instead of a third party view looking in.

"A walks up to B", simplistic and as without substance as it really is, can be met with a response that is several sentences long and still be productive or accomplishing something, but this is something I would have to personally sit down with you and work out, which would include going through your posting style.

Introspection does not mean filler or fluff. Stray from excessive use of adjectives--- let the strings of sentences do their own work. Create the dark mood by your choice of words, rather than overstylizing them with adjectives that *mean* 'dark'. Your style should do the talking for you, not the dictionary! :)
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!