Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

iPhone Apps: Got Some Cash To Kill?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

iPhone Apps: Got Some Cash To Kill?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Oo-kay, guys and gals. Right off the bat, this is not going to dissolve into one of those -- "IHATEAPPLEOMFG" debates. Just lettin' y'all know.

So what are we talking about today? Well, iPhone applications, as you probably surmised from the title.

They're addictive, handy, tricky little buggers, aren't they? While I don't have the exact figure, I know for a fact that in the last year alone, the sheer number of applications in the iTunes store has risen dramatically. Some are good, some are bad, and some should never have made it from the programmer's mind and onto the screen.

I've got a ton of apps, to be honest. For the interest of time, here are just my two main game folders.

Image Image

Honestly, I'm a sucker. If something is on the front page (especially games) I usually end up getting it. Sometimes, this isn't a bad strategy. Flight Control, Doodle Jump and Pocket God have been well-worth my dollar, whereas the Mirror's Edge iPhone port has about the same replay value as a firecracker.

Here are some notes on apps that I think really are worth your money.

Pix'N Love Rush is the best money you will ever spend if you love retro-style platforming, a really cute main character, and kick-ass music.

BIT.Trip has amazing music and, again, is the best if you love that retro style. Note: You get three (lengthy!) starter songs, and have to buy the rest.

Fruit Ninja's replay value has skyrocketed thanks to its connection to the Game Center multiplayer. Get it.

Trainyard isn't made by a big-name company (*cough* PopCap *cough*) but it still rocks. The puzzle mechanic is easy to pick up, but the difficulty curve is rather like running face-first into a wall of ow.

Pocket God is hilarious. Tons of replay value here, too, and the content updates are massive! Aside from that, you get to completely sandbox the lives of unwitting, unthinking natives. Get it.

As for where I get the money to buy these on a whim, that's where things get interesting. I try to be good. I try not to go crazy, but my evil, twisted little mind says -- "it's just a dollar!" and clicks download before I think about it. This tendency bought me iDracula, the aforementioned Mirror's Edge, Cartoon Wars, and Doodle God -- and those are some of the games I play the least.

And that may just be the problem with apps! They're simple. They're time-wasting. They're money-wasting, in some cases.

Yeah, well, that about wraps things up from my end. What about you guys?

What apps do you have, that you'd recommend? How many do you have? How many have you bought on your own, and how many were given to you via gift cards, etc?

If anyone knows the band that's in my background photo, you win all my Internets forever.

Thanks for reading!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: iPhone Apps: Got Some Cash To Kill?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

I honestly don't have that many apps. I'm picky. I just recently upgraded the evil crackberry to a iphone. My ipod touch had I think TapTapDance and a few others. I mostly download free stuff, because I cannot justify a .99 on something half the time.
Yeah its .99, but that .99 could go towards something else... not to mention I don't want to pay for it and discover I hate it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't own an iPhone, unfortunately. D: But from what I do hear, loads of the apps are crap. There are a couple gems in there, though. I'm surprised Plants vs. Zombies isn't on your list -- how come? I loved the computer version, and I've played the iPhone version a couple times. Not that different, actually; I was amazed at how well they integrated the touch screen with the game.
But yeah, I'm kind of rambling and not contributing to the thread much. I kinda disagree with your idea that games with little to no replay value are bad -- who's to say that a cheap 0.99$ game that lasted like five hours but gave you loads of entertainment wasn't well worth the money? It's a better value than most console games, to be honest.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 pm

I own Plants vs Zombies, actually. You can see the icon in my second game folder.

The list I gave were games that aren't on the front page, that you might need to dig around to find. The sort of games you're not quite sure you'd wanna take the plunge on. Everyone knows the latest release from Pop Cap is gonna be epic-awesome, because that's what they do.

That said, I think since posting the games that I did end up listing have been on a front page somewhere, under some category. But who knows! I'm just a sucker for retro games, and games where you slice things.

:)

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 pm

My iPod games have basically evolved since the original posting.

Anyone else got any interesting baubles they'd like to share while I get ready to launch my latest handful of timewasters?

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Haha, TapTapDance. If you were half as good as some of the one-handed players I've seen on Flash Flash Revolution, you could totally kill 90% of those songs. (Protip: Playing with your thumbs is fail. Use the first three fingers of your dominant hand and you'll most likely do better.)

Mom recently got this one game on her iPhone where you launch a sheep into the air and you tap it as it comes down to try to launch it higher. If the sheep drops past the screen without you tapping it to send it upwards, it's game over. It has the addictive quality of launching innocent animals shared by Facebook apps like Penguin Toss, only it's height and not length that you're striving for. (Word to the wise: A low battery warning can and will pop up mid-game, which can ruin your carefully timed screen taps.)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Don't have an iPhone, but I know for a fact Mr. Aah! is awesome. I also have plants vs. zombies on my laptop so I know that one's pretty cool too.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Actually, I downloaded Mr. Aah! and while I sort of like it, I put it down really quick, and haven't picked it up since.

Alright, let me open it again. Haha.

.. Nope. I deleted it. That says a lot. I do remember it being one of those timing, jump games. The graphics were decently nice, but evidently there wasn't a replay value enough to keep me going OMFG!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Really? I am a mindless vice for that game - I almost rip my friend's iPhone off his hands to keep playing it XD. There's also an air hockey game for two that I found really cute, dunno its name though.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 pm

GlowHockey? Because I do have that guy. It's actually kinda fun! It's one of those games that I think does actually benefit from the iPad and its larger playing surface. And it just looks pretty, haha. It's one of those mindlessly simple games that someone must have thought up on the fly .. but that someone is currently bathing in gold bubble soap. Heh.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AmethystXIII on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 pm

I've become quite the hoarder for iPhone apps... I have 238 (down from around 330 a while back) apps and I'm pretty sure at least 180 of them are games. I've paid for Plants vs. Zombies, Protector, Crystal Defenders, Diner Dash, and the Cyanide and Happiness app. I keep an eye on the Giveaway a day, Free App A Day, and AppShopper apps for any games that go free for a day or two. :) Picked up Ashe that way, along with a TON of other great games out there.

AmethystXIII
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 am

I had Crystal Defenders on the old iPod Classic. I don't have it for the iTouch, but I remember it being pretty fun so we'll see how that goes!

Hmm ..

Ashe? Haven't heard of that.

I just bought Orbital and Eliss today. I would definitely recommend Eliss. It's crazy-involved with the multitouch and the difficulty ramps up nicely. It's innovative, it's fun, it's terrifying. I never thought I'd be so scared to see two little yellow and pink blobs being summoned.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AmethystXIII on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Whoa, Eliss looks INTENSE. Haha the multitouch feature is awesome.

Ashe is much like the old school Final Fantasy games, in which it's a top-down RPG, levels, magic, and the like. I haven't gotten around to playing much, really though. :<

Do you think you would appreciate if I posted my daily free app findings? (Or price drop, if you ARE willing to spend money. I personally, cannot at the moment.)

AmethystXIII
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:14 pm

I actually would appreciate that! I'm always looking for new and interesting apps.

Another good little app I don't think I've mentioned is Swapper. It's not on the front page anywhere, and I actually found it by accident.

You control those little wheels, and switch out balls ("swapping") them around so that you fill four of the same color. There's a real method you have to adopt as you move things around, especially once the difficulty ramps up. I think it's only a dollar. Not quite sure. Definitely worth it!

The thing that's annoying about it though is that when you lose, you have to start all the way over. It definitely feels like it's still in the beta stages.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!