Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Massively frustrated! Have you had this issue?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Massively frustrated! Have you had this issue?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm

I've been trying for the past two years to get anything off the ground on this site, and I seem to be failing miserably at it. I have taken every suggestion I have received and attempted to work with it. I have even tried to fix problems that might be with me! It all just seems to die, even what I join dies. I've been working on trying to be active like people suggest, but it also depends on other people here too you know! I learned this art the old and hard way, by diving into the old yahoo chat rooms and hoping that someone would pick up on your character introduction/profile and maybe interact with you for a scene or two. Not whatever the system here on gateway is now, it confuses me.

I am also tired of people bailing on me or promising rp only to not deliver.
Honest guys I'm at my wits end here and would appreciate a bit of help. I left and came back. I'm wanting to give the site another chance, really! I'm just so massively frustrated. I'm not the type to just jump into someone elses' plot unannounced or without permission, I also do not appreciate being blatantly ignored and kicked out of my own plots or things I'm involved with either.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Re: Massively frustrated! Have you had this issue?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

It's often jested that some people are "cursed" to never find an RP that they can take an active part in, but the people that are booting you out of your own plots need to be the recipients of rabid Tasmanian devils in their trousers, or failing that, boots to the head. Still, I've managed to find a steady partner in BBClock, and these are the three main ingredients to forming such a bond.

The first thing I find is important is finding potential partners that are genuinely interested in some of the same things you are. Take your husband Barney Fife, for example. He's big into the whole sci-fi and Nation RP bit, and this is why he gets along famously with Ottoman and AzricanRepublic because they have similar bents. Find out what sorts of plots and characters you really like to do, then PM people after careful observation who you think are good matches. I'm not going to lie here: If people ask out in the open "Anyone want to roleplay with me?", it just looks pathetic and their chances of arranging a partner that way have just taken a nose dive. If they by some miracle do manage to get someone to accompany them, it's likely not going to last.

Second, get to know your "partner" on a personal level and not just what they like to be and do when they go in character. If your personalities are compatible, you can serve as each other's sounding boards for new plot twists and avenues for development. Also, you can get to know their typical schedule, and thus can more easily block out time for your play dates.

Finally, once you do find a partner, see if you can't find a villain that will give your character and your partner's character a reason to stick with each other through thick and thin to bring him to whatever form of justice your characters prefer. (It helps if your characters have some form of professional relationship.) The IC motivation to defeat this guy will spill over into your OOC life, and it will keep you two coming back as your respective schedules permit to advance whatever plot you guys have going.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: Massively frustrated! Have you had this issue?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 pm

That's probably the best advice I've gotten. Barney told me, "Just go sit in Gambits and make a pest of yourself." or "Just ask someone to roleplay with you." then he tried to make people include me. That bombed famously, I think people resent me even more now.
You have a very good point, just asking someone makes you seem pathetic and well... desperate. Neither of which I am, I'm just frustrated and running out of what very little patience I possess.

The few rp partners I have had last through a good deal off the site I do know personally to a extent. I am just having a heck of a time with this site, and trying to understand how it works I guess politically for gathering up people for roleplays.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!