Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Midwest Snowmageddon: "Storm of the Century"?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Midwest Snowmageddon: "Storm of the Century"?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:25 pm

So here I am sitting in Chicago, Illinois watching all the snow falling down sideways. The weather report tells me I'm about to get two feet of snow, along with thundersnow, ice, and just a heck of a lot of nasty, nasty weather.

Yeah. That's right. My city has been paralyzed. The hype on all the news stations is incredible. I keep reading headlines like "A Historic Storm!"; "The Storm of the Century!" and it's crazy!

I know some states have already been hit, and the reports are flowing in from all over the country. This thing is supposed to be nasty, if you understand.

Any stories? School closings, being stranded, that sort of thing? Here's one for me.

I go to school smack downtown in Chicago, and they let us out of classes early (1:00 PM, Central) so that we could all go home and not get stuck in the city. There are bulletins on the news and online warning people -- "hey. You know that whole 'traveling' thing? Stop doing that by 4PM. No. Seriously. Or you will die" .. but in fewer words.

When I walked out of my building and onto the main street, across the plaza .. the wind was already buffeting, and the snow coming down. I don't think my school was the only place to be letting people out early. There were a lot of people on the "L" home, rushing to batten down the proverbial hatches.

I'm back home, on my laptop .. hoping my friends in Indiana and closer to the lakeshore don't get axed in the face by lake-effect snow.

So that's my story. I might collect pictures tomorrow if I don't have school, and the way they're talking? Sounds likely.

>:D

MAKE PEACE WITH YOUR GOD!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: Midwest Snowmageddon: "Storm of the Century"?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:24 pm

This:

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm

^ Looks promising. I don't think we have anything to worry about, at all. No sir-eee!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

My computer teacher actually bumped our Word exam back to next Tuesday because of the storm. Bad news is we still have our regularly scheduled Thursday class, she's just going to use that session to start us off on Excel.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Even here in Texas we're snowed/iced in.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:27 pm

I love looking at the radar. It literally seems like someone took a giant sword, and sliced the Midwest from its shoulder, down to its nads.

*EDIT: This is relevant -- I just looked out my window, and saw someone walking backwards along the sidewalk to avoid the wind, which is still sending the snow sideways.

Smart man. Smart, smart man.

Dammit, I should have taken before & after pictures!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 pm

By the way, here's a picture of the Blizzard heading for Chicago.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GreenSweatshirtGal on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 am

Oh, man, that picture is intense. Must've taken some hardcore guts to go out and take that! That's got to be the most ominous impending blizzard I've ever seen.

I live not too incredibly far from Chicago, so I know what you mean with the snow blowing sideways and the thundersnow and all that. It's pretty crazy...the wind is so strong (sustained winds of at least 40 mph, and gusts well into the 50s) that it doesn't look like it's snowed nearly as much as it has - it all stays in the air and goes right to the drifts!

I totally dig meteorology, so I've been watching this system for a while. It's pretty intense...a lot of people here were like "oh, it's not going to be that bad, they ALWAYS say it's going to be a big storm and then nothing happens", but this time everything just came together. I mean, take a look at all of these warnings! If it's not a blizzard, it's a winter storm. If it's not that, it's an ice storm, high wind advisory, or wind chill warning (-50 wind chills in some areas, holy pants!). And earlier today, the warm side of the storm had some severe weather on it (although it wasn't nearly as intense as I expected).

Pretty intense stuff. According to the Weather Channel, there's whole 2100 miles and 100 million people are supposed to get buried under at least a foot of snow by this. Yikes!

On the plus side, snow day! Whoo! No complaints here!

sgdfhsdkfjsdfgs weather topic ♥

My Ballin' RPs:
A Field :: A Field + You + Testing
Lila :: TWEWY + Inception + Higurashi + LOST + Almighty Beings + MAGIC BALLS + Crossovers + LSD
Maple Manor :: Maid Outfits + RPG Rules + Plumbing

GreenSweatshirtGal
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 am

"Snowmageddon. The end of the world as we snow it."

Ha. Haha. Heh. Ehhh. I love Facebook statuses.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alasund on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:56 am

Almost makes me glad my countries only trying to go underwater!
Verdant plains and cold dark night. I have nothing more but silence.

Alasund
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:36 am

I love it when the Snowmageddons are oreo flavoured.

Daimayo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frog on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 am

Do know what no one ever mentions in the news, or anywhere? It how cold it's going to get in northern parts of Ontario because of this damned system. Arg! I'm going to be freezing next week, and I have to work outside. Mm, Blizzards. I love frozen hell food!

Edit: Forgot to add the picture of the temperatures for where I live.

I'm sure it's going to get colder than that. Wind chills...-50. >.> Frozen fingers.
My avatar keeps disappearing. :(

Frog
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am

Oh no! I woke up this morning to the sounds of lightning. Snowmageddon has reached Canada!

I'm surprised, I frankly didn't them to let the blizzard through customs. We are far too friendly and welcoming here.

Daimayo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 am

I have woken to what must be about thirteen inches of snow.

I stand corrected, weather. Now bugger off.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 pm

At one point I would have said I was jealous. But after the December I had with snow chaos, all I can say is...

HAHAHA... For Ireland we've got lots of sun :D It's surprisingly warm.

<_<

That is all <3

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello, second snow day!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm in the north of Mexico and it's just hella cold here. I've seen snow... Once, twice in my life? And I do not want to see it again, not in my city anyway. Where's the Snowmageddon heading anyhow?

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Din on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Holy Crap:

After:
It was just him and his shovel.
Tell me a story.

Din
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello, suburbia!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!