Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Return to Eternity

Return to Eternity

a part of “Return to Eternity”, a fictional universe by StandardFiend.

Set on the continent of Terisill, a world broken into four very different states with very different ideals. On top of the chaos, there have been whispers of a darker power on the rise. What role will you play?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Return to Eternity”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Return to Eternity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Return to Eternity

Here is our general OOC thread. This is where we can talk and laugh and have a merry time, but this is not where we will have our serious discussions. There will be a separate OOC thread for those, just so we can keep them in a sequestered and more easily accessible area.

O heart, lament not, for this world is only metaphorical.
O soul, grieve not, for this abode is only transient.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Return to Eternity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:20 am

dealing with it, Lilaiy, both of your characters have been accepted. I really like them both. Lilaiy, we should have a very interesting time, since my character is going to be a member of the Siis military.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Thank you for the acceptance!

Cheers to dissonance ;]

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

It looks like there isn't much going on in the RPA thread, but perhaps it's still too early to make a judgement.

Still, I don't want to stagnate for too long, so how comfortable would you guys be starting with just the three of us, letting the other three slide in whenever they arrive?

I'd like to give it a couple more days, but I feel it's not fair to you to keep you waiting for any longer than that.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Your call. I'm ready to start any time, so long as I'm not writing the opening post.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:12 pm

We've just obtained another member, so perhaps there is hope after all.

Don't worry about the opening post; I'll take care of it and try to provide a few openings for all our characters to come together.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I don't mind when we start, either!

I just keep checking back for updates so that I don't miss anything :]

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Well, it's a little slower-going than I had hoped, but we're getting there. Three characters and a potential fourth. Once that fourth character arrives, we'll start.

So, how do you guys see us meeting up in the IC? Classic D&D tavern?

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolt on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Sounds fine for my character since she would probably go to a tavern to get information about a person she needs to locate or kill, as an order from the assassins guild or maybe something else. Will see how you start it all first before deciding.

For those who doesn't know, if there is any, D&D stands for Dungeons & Dragons and is, if not the most, one of the most known roleplay setups. So a D&D tavern is simply a tavern that looks like the ones from medieval.
Last edited by blackwolt on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackwolt
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Have you perchance played the new board game version of D&D, blackwolt? I was looking at the Ravenloft edition and it looked pretty fun, but it's kinda expensive. I'd hate to drop $50 on the game and then not like it.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolt on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Actually I have only tried one D&D boardgame and I can't remember what it was called, but if I recall correctly it was something with a ice dragon, so can't say if Castle Ravenloft is good or not. But I have tried much more D&D Pen and Paper, I felt that was more like me, but that might be because those I played the boardgame with wasn't as serious as those I've played Pen and Paper with.

It is fine to make fun OOC, but I really appreciate if they don't make fun IC, if you know what I mean ;)

blackwolt
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Ice dragon, eh? Can't say it rings any bells. Could it have been the Miniatures game? That's the only other D&D game I can think of...

My first love is the original pen and paper version, of course. I've been playing since 3rd edition, and I think so far 3.5 is my favorite. I've delved into 2nd edition, but nobody ever wants to play it with me. I've also tried 4th, but it's like they dumbed it down way too much, and it just isn't fun anymore.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolt on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh yeah, your probably right... Then I haven't tried any of the board games ever :/ Is it worth trying? ;)

The GM I have played most with has the 1st Edition, so thats the one I have done the most, pretty cool edition. But I have also tried the 3rd edition some few times. Haven't played any Pen and Paper since I began on college though, and I am on my last year now, so hopefully I can begin again after that. :p

blackwolt
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Actually, whether or not the board game is worth trying is what I was asking, too. I guess nobody knows. I think it's pretty new, so it probably doesn't have a lot of publicity yet.

College has put a rather enormous damper on my D&D playing as well. My friends and I have started like 30 campaigns and finished exactly 0 of them, so we've resolved to start and finish one this summer. Hopefully it'll work out.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skawaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Ahh, D&D.... Good times. It's been quite some time since I had a good campaign going on. Perhaps I'll need to drag Morlune from the bowels of hell sometime soon, and get another game session going...

Edit***

I've just submitted my profile... It's not the greatest I've written, but I suppose I'm more used to filling out a set of given criteria, but oh well. I just included information I thought was needed to give an accurate depiction of my character. So when d'you think we'll kick this thing off?

Skawaffle
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:40 pm

So, the character profile associated with the tab RP is divided into subsection: There is a section for description, for personality, for equipment, and for history. Perhaps you just did not see them.

But it doesn't matter, since filling out a character sheet perfectly is not the point of this RP. I've accepted your character, but if you want to go back and fill out all the sections feel free. It might make referencing the sheet easier in the future.

When I first saw your character's head shot, the first thing I thought was Abel Nightroad... then I was sad when I realized it was not...

Um, as far as when we'll start, we're still waiting on a character from PawsyX. If we don't get one in the next day or two, we'll go ahead and begin with just the five of us.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skawaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, I deduced that much. I somewhat dislike the preset format included by RPGateway, so I made do. I meant more of a user defined set of guidelines, rather than the basic setup of RPG. I may go back and edit the areas where the information is placed, if I deem it prudent... but until then, I should think my profile is understandable enough.

As for the character name, is that an actual character from something, or was it more of a speculation of some sort? I will often grab images off of the internet with no actual intellect of what they're from.

I don't mind waiting a bit. I've been doing a lot of waiting recently in my life, so patience is something I've come to have.

And a small warning, I may not be able to be active for a couple days starting on March 17th, and returning on March 19th. I'm involved in a robotics program in my school, and we'll be going to Baltimore for a tournament. I'm one of the programmers for our robot, and it'll be competing against other teams from around the U.S.

Edit***

I deemed it prudent to update the profile to fit the format supplied by RPGateway a little better.

Skawaffle
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 pm

All your information was there so I didn't mind, but that's cool.

Abel Nightroad is a character in an anime called Trinity Blood. He looks a lot like the guy in your picture, who I do not recognize.

So, you're into robotics, eh? Last semester I started an AI programming class. The subject matter was interesting, but the professor pretty much tried his best to make it impossible for people like me to pass. By people like me I mean people who spent all of their programming time in C++ and were admitted into the class with no experience in Java or object-oriented programming let alone both at the same time. Then they wouldn't let me drop the class. I'm actually still pretty pissed off about it. But now I'm on a completely different track.

What language do you use to program the robots?

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skawaffle on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

That's terrible, what that teacher did. Lucky for me, I'll be taking some programming classes over the summer...

I suppose I'm the type who enjoys intellectual stimulation during all time of the year... I get so miserable and bored over the summer, so I think I'll be taking up Java this year.
We used Java to program last year, but I didn't pick up much of it. Unfortunately, I was sick for much of the programming process, so I decided to let the others finish up the programs while I worked with the mechanical aspects. This year we used LabView, which can be described as C++ mixed with MS Paint. It presents the program in a circuit diagram form, and then presents the code underneath it for learning purposes.

If you weren't familiar with C++ or Java, though, what languages did you use? Python? Gopher? Or was it (x)html?

And what exactly are you involved in now, if you don't mind my asking?

Skawaffle
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StandardFiend on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Actually, I was familiar with C++. Not with the object-oriented aspects of it, but I was an ace with the basic elements. I knew that the AI class would be Java, and I had dabbled in Java a bit before (read: used Karel the Robot) in a high school class, and everyone assured me that with my knowledge of C++ I'd be fine, including my advisers who admitted me into the class and one of my roommates who had taken the class. But then it turned out that the programming was so utterly complex that my dad, who is a database administrator for Microsoft, couldn't even figure it all out. We worked on it together for a whole weekend, and then I still got like a D on it.

Wow, I can sure rant about that if given an opportunity.

Anyway, my interest in programming is purely recreational. I'm a psychology major, with plans to join the FBI at some point. That is, if the government will ever give me citizenship. Otherwise is back to Canada to join the Mounties. I guess I'm interested in programming mainly because I'm trying to develop a video role playing game.

StandardFiend
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!