Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Is my RP too complicated?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Is my RP too complicated?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

So, I created an RPG that I thought would be fun. Like an actual game. You can earn points and cash in those points for various weapons and gadgets and stuff by hunting Aliens. The introduction is actually pretty brief, but I have a bunch of notes and a list of weapons and rules as well as a map of the area where everything happens. Do you think that all that stuff is turning people away from my RPG? It's of Gantz one of my favorite mangas ever.

Here's a link. Check it out and tell me what I can do to make it more attractive to other RPers. Thanx TT-TT

roleplay/gantz-phase-one/

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is my RP too complicated?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am

I personally find it confusing because I'm not familiar with the subject matter the RP is based off.
Some people like a lot of information right up front, but I tend to like to use the front page for a introduction and then use the OOC for multiple threads with info where people can ask about said info.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 pm

The general consensus among this community is that hard numbers are a no-no. Whether they come in the form of bookkeeping (hit points, money on hand, etc.) or stats used in conjunction with dice for task resolution, people here are sticklers for letting the story dictate everything. Quite frankly, I have no idea why that is, but I could hazard a guess.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fallacy on Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Normally I say that there's no such thing as "too complicated" in roleplays, but as QB said, I dislike the use of numbers to keep track of things. Everything else is fine (weapons, map, etc.) is fine, but the points and cash will probably turn people off -- although there is an audience for those sorts of roleplays.
Alternative roleplaying forums, chat, and Etherpad

Fallacy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Sun May 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Like Fallacy and QB said, hard numbers tend to detract from viewers which can equal players sometimes. Your introduction is good, your explanation of how things work is good too.
If I were running it I would find a way to run it without so many hard numbers, maybe that could get you more views and more people interested in your plot.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sench on Wed May 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Uh, the points system is an inseparable part of the setting this roleplay is based off. This is a clear case of DNDTR.

Anyway. Numbers are great! Unless a roleplay is completely open-ended when it comes to the abilities/powers/equipment characters may have, numbers are a much neater way to handle things than words. Because in the end, they serve the exact same function, but numbers are more flexible, more definite and easier to work with.

However, for some "mysterious" reasons, people dislike seeing numbers in roleplays. As obvious from this topic alone, they will bash numbers even if they are meant to be there due to the setting itself, not as a balancing/convenience factor.
Irony is lost on those whose behavior is ironic. Isn't that... ironic?

Sench
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm

I was talking about the knee-jerk reaction to numbers and points in general around here instead of this specific instance. Therefore, Did Not Do The Research does not apply here, mainly because the temptation with such a system is to create encounters that are Numbers Hard.

Also, Pokemon has the same deal going if one is diligent enough to find various calculators and other tools on various fan sites for use in conjunction with the video games. Of course, the math in this case tends to be slightly more involved, but the same principles apply.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am

qbsuperstar03 wrote:The general consensus among this community is that hard numbers are a no-no. Whether they come in the form of bookkeeping (hit points, money on hand, etc.) or stats used in conjunction with dice for task resolution, people here are sticklers for letting the story dictate everything. Quite frankly, I have no idea why that is, but I could hazard a guess..

I disagree many people from here come from playing DnD on the board with stats and stuff. And I'm taking part in a advanced DnD roleplay on here online. It's not for everyone, but it's my opinion if ya have enough people and genuine interest anything can work. Don't limit yourself in roleplays by any ideas, you only need enough people and enough interest and honestly you can do anything. Roleplaying shouldn't limit you as you shouldn't be forced to limit your imagination, asking people to do that is unfair and not to mention counter-productive.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!