Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Asylums, Idols, Orphanages, etc.

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Asylums, Idols, Orphanages, etc.

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby PastelHarmony on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 pm

It seems like a lot of these roleplay threads/universes have died out. I'm looking to start one or more universe/s around these ideas, but what do you guys think? Have you noticed any trends/problems related to these topics? Are you also disappointed at the lack of threads and very much would want one? Please let me know!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

PastelHarmony
Member for 3 years
Giver Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Promethean World Builder Person of Interest Builder Author Arc Warden

Re: Asylums, Idols, Orphanages, etc.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Yeah its truly unfortunate but Lonesome said it best when she said

"So, when new people join the site there is no longer a community of active RPers making group RPs for the masses waiting with welcoming arms, there's just the clique at the top in their own little world and then all the small groups of veteran players RPing in 1x1's/discord/whispers or failing to ever start a group RP after posting it.
New players try to start group RPs, but no one in the clique joins because again - they're in their own world only talking to each other, and those splintered off really aren't paying any attention to the few group RPs that pop up. So the new players leave pretty quickly and write the site off as dead...."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby phosphene on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:48 am

Sepokku wrote:Yeah its truly unfortunate but Lonesome said it best when she said

"So, when new people join the site there is no longer a community of active RPers making group RPs for the masses waiting with welcoming arms, there's just the clique at the top in their own little world and then all the small groups of veteran players RPing in 1x1's/discord/whispers or failing to ever start a group RP after posting it.
New players try to start group RPs, but no one in the clique joins because again - they're in their own world only talking to each other, and those splintered off really aren't paying any attention to the few group RPs that pop up. So the new players leave pretty quickly and write the site off as dead...."

Part of the issue is that there was a real problem, a while back, where new people would join the site, make a really promising rp, get a lot of interest, get a whole group of people to join, and then they'd just vanish without a trace. It grew to be really frustrating to put all that work into creating characters, weaving relationships, etc., so unfortunately, yes, some cliques were made. It comes to the point where you think "okay, i know this person is going to stick around" or "yeah, that guy does finish making his characters."

Personally, I wish it wasn't this way, and I'd love to see more roleplays being made with open arms to the masses, but it seems to be hard to get anyone to join. Maybe it's intimidating to see links to discord groups and people who are already friends, I don't know. Maybe we need to workshop more ways to help new people feel more welcome, I don't know. Anyway, this probably isn't the right place for this discussion.

PastelHarmony wrote:It seems like a lot of these roleplay threads/universes have died out. I'm looking to start one or more universe/s around these ideas, but what do you guys think? Have you noticed any trends/problems related to these topics? Are you also disappointed at the lack of threads and very much would want one? Please let me know!

I think it largely depends on what the actual concept is. Personally, I don't think I've seen a universe like you're describing since I've been on rpg, but it's possible I've just missed it. It's entirely possible those types of rps just aren't popular anymore, though you're welcome to start a universe.
Things are only impossible until they're not.
tumblr | Pinterest

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

phosphene
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge Giver World Builder

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby mombie on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:45 am

Sepokku wrote:Yeah its truly unfortunate but Lonesome said it best when she said

This is just wrong. Don't blame the folks who are sick of failing group RPs and disappearing New People for the lack of new group roleplays popping up. The truth is this - forum roleplay is a dying breed, and that's just what it is. I'm really just sick of "cliques" and 1x1's being blamed for RPG failures when in reality, it's people that can't stick around a group RP for more than one posts. It's new players putting up roleplays and then abandoning us after we put in hours of CS work.

Those of us in these "cliques" and doing 1x1 roleplays USED to be the ones trying to make group roleplays for other people, but got fucking sick and tired of people joining and disappearing for no reason. It's not us old players - we are very active and very welcoming, it's the new writers that use RPG like a revolving door.

Maybe you should look at what's wrong with RPG instead of blaming 1x1's and cliques when you don't even bother to get to know us or what we've attempted to do. It's such bullshit. We aren't the ones driving new people away... new people are driving us away.

WE ARE SICK OF BEING ABANDONED BY NEW PLAYERS THAT COME IN, MAKE NEW ROLEPLAYS, AND THEN DISAPPEAR! BLAME THOSE PEOPLE INSTEAD OF ALWAYS PUTTING THE BLAME ON US! 1x1 AND CLOSED GROUP RPS ARE THE RESULT OF BEING ABANDONED OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN by people that join the site with no intent on staying!! I have joined over twenty RPs with only three active. Take that as you will. Do your research before you blame a group of people. BY THE WAY! WE ARE SOME OF THE FEW PEOPLE THAT KEEP THIS SITE ACTIVE!

RPG staff has a consistent bias toward those of us that prefer 1x1 RP, but make no effort to understand why we are forced to trust in only a few people and be wary of new folks.

The hard truth, PastelHarmony? And take this as you will - a lot of us no longer trust people we don't know. We also realize that a lot of people that join RPs are the same people that leave after two posts. It's exhausting to put in a lot of effort for things that are not going to last. It's NOT because we do not have ideas or we are unwelcoming. The Staff is constantly telling people that we are 'cliques' and 'unwelcoming', but that is not the case. We are UNTRUSTING, and there's a perfectly good reason for that. Look at my profile - over 50 characters, and how many are active? Five in a Group RP. Four in a 1x1. That's sad, isn't it?

We have ideas. We have SO MANY ideas, but we are just tired of putting in the work for no return. So yes, we have formed small groups and now RP with people we trust. That's just the outcome of being jaded time and time again.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Okay, and no offense but no one was pointing fingers at any of the older players. Its a simple fact, that Mombie, as a random veteran, agreed to. It does happen... Regardless of why it happens. Its still just what happens...

And pastel just said she might try to relaunch am RP that they saw already on this site... so we have indeed seen a RP like theyre describing... because it would literally have to already be on the site for them to have even mentioned it...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Friendly Beginnings World Builder Visual Appeal Conversationalist Person of Interest Greeter Arc Warden Property Buyer Storyteller Completionist Novelist Group Theory Helmsman Concierge Salesman Lifegiver Tipworthy Giver Cult Leader Hordemaster

Tips: 0.75 INK Postby ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:22 am

New roleplays/roleplay ideas are always welcome so I definitely recommend that you try launching something! I've found that the issue with this website is mainly a lack of new blood. As much as I hate to admit it, the first sign of an RP site dying is a surge of private and 1x1 roleplays. Personally I don't enjoy 1x1s as much as I used to (though group private roleplays are fine), but I can see how 1x1s can be more flexible and reliable. A few years ago the site was sprawling with new universes of every type (including the story topics you mention in the title); however, many left due to code theft, lack of communication, and website instability. There were also users who would come and go (some being notorious for joining/creating a universe and then leaving) but that issue didn't matter much because there were just so many players and GMs around. Unfortunately, what you see now are the people who have stuck around or recently come back.

Coming from someone without many remaining connections, I don't see the cliqueishness anyone is talking about. I created an open roleplay in 2020 without knowing many of the remaining players yet the slots were filled without hesitation. I understand that might not be the case for everyone, but acting like there's an RP country club is silly. Until recently, half of the new universes were being put out by the same handful of people so it isn't surprising that there is a ton of overlap. I realize that it can be intimidating for newcomers to dive into that world, but it's one of those situations where you have to take a leap of faith. You never know who you might end up writing with, if not befriending :)

From what I've seen, the things that attract players to a roleplay are: good worldbuilding, room for creativity, and solid direction for the story. Pretty graphics are a plus, but not necessary. What really holds a roleplay together is communication. So if you have that going on in your roleplay then I'm sure people will come take a look! Additionally, most people these days use Discord or Slack for OOC chatter and extra information due to its server stability and accessibility.

I hope this helps and good luck with your ideas PastelHarmony!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.75 INK in return for their work.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy World Builder Builder Inspiration Giver

Tips: 0.75 INK Postby partially-stars on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 am

Hi there! So I've been heavily involved in the promoting and encouragement of non-multiverse universes over the past year, and wanted to give some advice!

If you feel like our site is lacking a certain type of roleplay, you're probably not the only person, so I would definitely encourage making one yourself! I understand that the Universes tab can seem a little overwhelming and quiet at times, but the best way to combat that is by encouraging activity!

Why not talk to some of the people who you're currently RPing with to see if any of them would be interested? Developing a solid group of people you work well with helps RPs to thrive and succeed, and it's always fun to make friends!

Older members are slower to respond as we've found these groups, and are cautious about breaking out, but that's not to say we're unfriendly or unwelcoming. Join plenty of RPs, find the people who are active and reliable, and approach them!

Don't get discouraged by drama with regards to this. Successful universes are being set up every day, and there's plenty of us old hands who are happy to offer advice if you just ask!
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.75 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:09 pm

PastelHarmony wrote:It seems like a lot of these roleplay threads/universes have died out. I'm looking to start one or more universe/s around these ideas...

Again I would just like to reiterate what the OP said. These RPs do exist on this site already, please don't respond to a thread without reading it...

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby phosphene on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm

And nobody said those rps don't exist at all on the site, I don't see where you're getting that idea from.

phosphene
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge Giver World Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sepokku on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:57 pm

phosphene wrote:And nobody said those rps don't exist at all on the site, I don't see where you're getting that idea from.

A few examples:

phosphene wrote: Personally, I don't think I've seen a universe like you're describing since I've been on rpg, but it's possible I've just missed it. It's entirely possible those types of rps just aren't popular anymore, though you're welcome to start a universe.

Wait... you missed... it? The OP said

PastelHarmony wrote:It seems like a lot of these roleplay threads/universes have died out. I'm looking to start one or more universe/s around these ideas

So you missed... every Universe that has died out on this site..? I can see you in 6 died out Universes...

partially-stars wrote:If you feel like our site is lacking a certain type of roleplay, you're probably not the only person, so I would definitely encourage making one yourself!

OP seems to be wondering why threads die out and how to fix it. There is nothing in the OP's post to indicate that there is an RP niche to be filled

That aside, ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ made some great points! Discord is definitely a must for most RPs since RPG does experience small stability issues from time to time. I know Pastel has created a few new universes, but no one has joined. Don't feel discouraged! A lot of us are just extremely busy from time to time, and are unable to take on a new Universe. Personally, I recently stopped RPing with Pastel in the MV, but please do not take it personally. I have had some irl stuff going on and will reply when able ><

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby phosphene on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Sepokku wrote:Wait... you missed... it? The OP said

PastelHarmony wrote:It seems like a lot of these roleplay threads/universes have died out. I'm looking to start one or more universe/s around these ideas

So you missed... every Universe that has died out on this site..? I can see you in 6 died out Universes...

First, I would like to direct and remind you to the fact that I have actually been a member of roleplaygateway.com for less than two full years, and no one person can notice or participate in everything on one website!

So, yes, I haven't seen an rp specifically like the ones OP mentioned. Using a quick search, the last rp tagged "asylum" had their last post roughly a month before I joined rpg. I don't know what they mean by "idols" because that can mean wildly different things depending on context, but the last rps tagged "idol" or "idols" had their last posts in 2012. The last post tagged "orphanage" had it's last post in 2016.

Tell me, how am I supposed to be fully aware of goings on from- in many cases years- before I joined the website?

And, yes, I'm in rps that have died out. Largely due to the things I was trying to advise about in my first post in the thread.

Instead of being a pedantic little shit how about you cut the bad faith arguments and let the rest of us try to be helpful.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

phosphene
Member for 5 years

Tips: 1.50 INK Postby mombie on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:05 pm

This person is extremely condescending and gaslights the rest of us. It's kind of annoying.

It'd be best to ignore it before we force a Moderator to come out of their hidey-hole and post something to remind us that they still exist.

Pastel, create your Universes - do as you please. Create whatever it is that makes you happy, and do what you need to do. If you are having difficulty in getting people to come out and join, then you might check out this post right here for some tips on how to attract people to it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.50 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Sepokku on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 am

phosphene wrote:First, I would like to direct and remind you to the fact that I have actually been a member of roleplaygateway.com for less than two full years, and no one person can notice or participate in everything on one website!

Again... Op only said that they have certain ideas on this site that they would like to see not fail. One of which is an Asylum/found family. Looking at your public RPs that you have made. They are all found family RPs.... Phosphene, you and I have even Rp'd together... So im not half-guessing at your Rp preference...

Especially in Mombie's case, different linguistics interpret things differently. I meant no offense and even explained as much in literally every post after our first initial contact.

And... Mombie, Pastel has already posted a few universes. They want to find out why no one is joining... OP is incredibly active on this site, considering they're new, and have seemingly read up on all our stater tips. They're mostly wondering how to attract interest. Most of this site is veterans and seemingly no veteran wants to play with a new register. Which prompts them to leave...

[edit: I have also Rp'd with mombie on a few different instances... Even going so far as to trade DMs to help with characterization]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Sepokku
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 11 years

Tips: 1.25 INK Postby mombie on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:28 pm

I would say that maybe try joining RPs that are already active. If you don't think they are open. PM the GM. I feel like, at this point (as sorry as this might be to say), it might be best to establish that you are an active and dedicated RPer before trying to open a new Universe. It used to be that you had to have like - ten posts in an Active Universe before you could create your own. I liked that system, honestly.

No one really wants to hear that when they have good ideas for Universes, but the hard truth is that a lot of us are jaded and non-trusting after pouring dozens of hours into RPs from new people that never took off. It's really not that we are elitist or unwelcoming. We desperately want to have a bunch of new people and join new Universes, but we are just really sick and tired of constant failures.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.25 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!