Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Weapons

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: Weapons

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RichterGotz on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 pm

I had a crazy idea for a character once. He would be a warrior-leper, whose body is slowly rotting away. At the time of the RP, his hands would have rotted away entirely, so he can't hold any weapons. Instead, he wears two gauntlet, fake arm contraptions on his forearms, which can accept various attachments. He would have a little squire follower that would carry around different things, a mace attachment, a sword attachment, a cannon attachment, axe attachment, etc. His fighting style would be very unorthodox, because he obviously can't use his wrists or hands.

Things would get hairy too, because his tongue has already rotted away, which means he can't speak coherently. As a result, he has to gesture and make specific grunting noises for each attachment. Needless to say, this would make exchanging weapons mid-battle very difficult.
"I have learned that Anger and Will, joined together, are the greatest Power. I have learned to meditate Anger and Will with clarity and precision, and I have learned to open the hidden reservoirs of Dark Side Power." ―Palpatine, from The Book of Anger

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RichterGotz
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 am

RichterGotz wrote:I had a crazy idea for a character once. He would be a warrior-leper, whose body is slowly rotting away. At the time of the RP, his hands would have rotted away entirely, so he can't hold any weapons. Instead, he wears two gauntlet, fake arm contraptions on his forearms, which can accept various attachments. He would have a little squire follower that would carry around different things, a mace attachment, a sword attachment, a cannon attachment, axe attachment, etc. His fighting style would be very unorthodox, because he obviously can't use his wrists or hands.

Things would get hairy too, because his tongue has already rotted away, which means he can't speak coherently. As a result, he has to gesture and make specific grunting noises for each attachment. Needless to say, this would make exchanging weapons mid-battle very difficult.

While it is unorthodox, it sounds beautiful in a rotting, garbled, bash-everything's-skull-in way.
Once more, with rhythm!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:31 pm

What weapon do you think I could use, I will post more weapons:
Weapons: Curve sword - Curved from tip to hilt to catch blows for defense. Clubs and Maces - Crushing armor and people foe offensive and deceptive and difficult to predict for defensive. Daggers - Defensive and offensive are for stabbing and thrusting. Axes - Defensive and offensive are chopping and crushing. Variety of Axes: Throwing Axes - Are ranged assault. Long Axes - Are primary assault and anti-armor. Hand-Axes - mounted combat. Poleaxe - Are anti-armor and anti-cavalry. Spear - primary assault, Javelin - ranged assault and Lance - mounted combat. Halberds are for close contact and medium distance fighting for offensive and defensive is for grappling enemies.

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 pm

A warrior's choice of weapon is frequently dictated by the style he was taught and the situations he finds himself in. Sometimes these two coincide. If your character was a pikeman in the service of a landed knight, for example, you would have basic armor (leather at best) and be trained in the use of a spear in formation with others like you.

To this end, you should carefully consider your weapon based on personal preference and your character's history. A character's weapon of choice, how he holds it, and how he moves with it are all opportunities for a skilled writer to explore what led them down the path of the warrior, as I explain in this guide.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:48 pm

It depends on the character, the setting, and what they'll be using the weapon for/against; you shouldn't just pick randomly from a list of weapons (or pick the one you think is the most "interesting").

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I pick weapon first then fighting style then work on my character (I'm OCD like that).

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 am

Long anythings have alot of reach, so remember that. Lances don't have to be used on horse back either, they are an all-around danger tool.

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyliel on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 am

VitaminHeart wrote:
RichterGotz wrote:
By the way, if there is one thing that I absolutely despise in any RP with combat involved, its katana's. Katana's.... Everywhere.... I mean seriously, I don't mind if you like Japanese weaponry, but there are so many more interesting implements of death than katana's. Especially if they're being wielded by white angsty teens.

You can only get away with that if you're Quentin Tarantino. =P

In all seriousness though, katanas show up a LOT, and often in situations where they'd prove more a hindrance than a help. If your character is some kind of elite assassin or secret agent in the modern era, then carrying a great big bit of steel that is fairly heavy, marks you out as someone who means to kill someone thereby blowing your cover, and becomes useless when facing an enemy with virtually any kind of firearm, seems counter-productive.

I really enjoyed Kill Bill, but the vast majority of the time, the whole 'katana' thing just ends up silly.

Also, RP needs moar quarterstaffs. I've used one at LARP events and the staff/spear users really do kick the ass of the sword users every day of the week.

Ah, one of the enlightened! Truly, the quarterstaff is the king of weapons. A skilled quarterstaff user will beat a skilled swordsman ten times out of ten.
Alright, that's a lie. This video should make it pretty obvious what the real king of weapons is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

But anyway, quarterstaffs are very underrated nowadays. It is far superior to a sword. And if you really need a cutting edge, you could use a naginata. Another great weapon.
Another underrated weapon is the sling. It is better than the bow in everything except the ability to pierce armor.
Though weapons are situational. Of course there are situations in when a sword would be better than a quarterstaff, and situations where a bow is better than the sling.

As for katanas... Indeed, they are very overused. If the roleplay happens in a Japanese setting, then a katana would be understandable, but that's usually not the case.
Although there is one particular style of how to use a katana that I find ridiculously cool. I'm hoping that I'll one day find a roleplay where I could actually use it without, you know, appearing extremely out of place.
"Here's da plan: win. If we lose, it's because ya didn't follow da plan."

Eyliel
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 am

Actually, the best weapon out there, isn't even a weapon at all. It's a shield, provided you have a weapon in the other hand. It might hurt like hell when you get that shield wacked squarely, but hey, no limbs lost!

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyliel on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 am

Actually, a shield can double as an actual weapon in the hands of the right person. Bash 'em in the face with the shield, or hack the edge at their neck, or the like. It can be a pretty efficient weapon if used correctly.

Eyliel
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 pm

PulseTrick wrote:Actually, the best weapon out there, isn't even a weapon at all. It's a shield, provided you have a weapon in the other hand. It might hurt like hell when you get that shield wacked squarely, but hey, no limbs lost!

You can have this: shield hat could be used as both a shield and a throwing weapon from star wars.

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Oh I remember that. That man was stylin' as well as lethal

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:11 pm

You also got captain america shield or a riot/gun shield from call of duty and of course medieval shields. You got all sort of shield from star wars i.e. deflector, ray, personal energy shields.

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:09 pm

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Planet Killer wrote:What is this weapon called: http://files.privateerpress.com/warmach ... _Final.jpg

Looks like a kusarigama with the blade from a shaolin spade on the end.

I'm gonna call it, The Proctologist

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:24 pm

What weapons would a modern and old age assassin, mercenary and ninja use?

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 pm

It depends on how he goes about assassinating people and what exactly you classify as a weapon. He could use poison, explosives, guns, knives, garrotte wire, or something practical like that. Anything that isn't noticeable and, therefore incredibly stupid for an assassin to use, could likely make up his arsenal.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Planet Killer wrote:What weapons would a modern and old age assassin, mercenary and ninja use?

Modern assassin: Probably a silence Pistol (example, agent 47 from Hitman)

Old age Assassin: A knife, a bow, poison, Not a garotte wire if you are going for historical accuracy, as they were used in the 17th and 18th century in India.

Mercenary: Go wild. I've always felt that mercenaries are always tougher the better weapons they have. Nobody really questions how big of a hammer (or gun) you're using if you're a Mercenary.

Ninja: Katana, Ninjato, Kusarigama. throwing starts, climbing gloves, I'm not sure if Ninja used bows despite that shame of a ninja gaiden game. If I had to guess where ninjas would be today in terms of weaponry, I'd guess darts, needles,and silenced guns\sniper rifles.

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Planet Killer on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Lifecharacter wrote:It depends on how he goes about assassinating people and what exactly you classify as a weapon. He could use poison, explosives, guns, knives, garrotte wire, or something practical like that. Anything that isn't noticeable and, therefore incredibly stupid for an assassin to use, could likely make up his arsenal.

What weapons do you think science fiction assassin uses?

Planet Killer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 pm

The same thing, just more technologically advanced. The only change I would say depends on the nature of the sci-fi setting and that, if there are robotics, or something like that, hacking could be used for assassinations. Someone could hack say, an automated car to blow up, or electronically sabotage someone's heating system to cause the place to fill with monoxide, or, in the event of augmentation, hack into them and cause problems.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!