Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Program: Anarchy is Freedom

The Program: Anarchy is Freedom

a part of “The Program: Anarchy is Freedom”, a fictional universe by Crooked Thoughts.

You came to us. You volunteered. You said you'd do anything it takes to save lives. You're not a liar are you? This is it. Will you give yourself to this program?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Program: Anarchy is Freedom”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] The Program: Anarchy is Freedom

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OriginalSix on Fri May 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Japan is everywhere. Beijing for the win.

By the way hackers; watch your backs. I'll be coming for you...
You know the goal. You know the path. The only thing that can stop you now is complacency. Go take what's yours.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

OriginalSix
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Fri May 14, 2010 2:33 pm

OriginalSix wrote:Japan is everywhere. Beijing for the win.

By the way hackers; watch your backs. I'll be coming for you...

You watch yours.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kama
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 pm

hey Fly, do I need to be changing anything for that character?

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Fri May 14, 2010 3:07 pm

This is a work in progress!

About fifty years ago, the once-great city of Seattle was bombed by terrorists, becoming a smoldering pile of wreckage, with all the survivors either leaving or becoming homeless street wanderers. Nobody cared much about it soon after, and the government abandoned it. Corporations then began to start to dump all of their tech trash there, as it was a convenient location (the preferred method is jets flying by and dropping loads of “junk” on the city). And when the government started to hunt hackers, they sought Seattle as a hideout, as it was convenient for them too (protection against the government, plus all the free tech that gets dropped). Now, it is the second largest location of peaceful outlaws in North America, below New York City.

The Scientists, a sophisticated group of genius hackers who rule over Seattle (sort of) and protect it, have gone to a great deal of work to keep Seattle a haven for hackers, and safe from the government. For starters, most of the hacker city exists underground; there are streets, shops, homes, everything down there. However, it can get crowded, technology is usually secondhand (people that go or live aboveground gather tech and sell it to people belowground), and gang wars are a lot more common than aboveground.

Then, there’s the full-on defense system incorporated into the city; there are a group of hackers on constant monitor for danger approaching or in the city, along with smart AIs. If they detect something dangerous, they can hack into it and shut it down; or, if it’s a government agent, they can alert everyone. There are also multiple highly-advanced proxies in the city that anonymize outgoing connections, vastly reducing the chances of getting caught in long-range hacking. Another thing: there is a full-on weapon defense system hidden, and only brought out in dire emergencies.

There is little threat of the government, here. First of all, the government apparently doesn’t care about Seattle; second, it apparently only thinks that hobos live there; third, even if it does know hackers live there, it probably does not care and thinks that they are not a problem (after all, what respectable hacker would live in a waste-dump?). And, of course, Seattle is well armed.

Here is a list of important places:

Underground:
The underground part of the city; functions as a “real” city, albeit with the entire population made up of illegal people hiding out.

Aboveground:
The aboveground part of the city; looks largely the same as it did after it became a waste-dump; filled with bazillions of random pieces of technological junk (more get added everyday) that the hackers can salvage.

The Scientists’ Base:
An underground base, where the slightly-mysterious Scientists live and operate.

Pike Place Market:
A popular place for people/groups to meet up and exchange tech.

The Black Market:
A shopping district in the underground part of the city.

Scanned:
A frontend for Scan and Shiloh’s weapon making business; run by [insert name here].

EDIT: This might be a stretch, but if anyone wants to play the person who runs Scanned, then I'll be a happy person :D If not, then it'll just be an NPC.

EDIT 2: Added "The Black Market" to the places list.

Kama
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Fri May 14, 2010 6:19 pm

@Chuckles: Naw, your character was perfect.

The Seattle you have in mind seems like it is the hackers final stand and they are already die hard set on defying the government. I agree with it for the most part, except a few things.

1. Tech ONLY dump. this is a part I disagree on. It seems they would dump more than technology, I picture it as being a dump period, a landfill. I figure that most of the city has been destroyed and the government didn't want to waste funds on this city, so they decided to chalk it up as a casualty of terrorist act. Maybe even blame it on hackers...

2. The underground city, would not be purely for hackers, but for survivors of the incident period. It was an idea of the scientist to rebuild the city underground. Of course this process would have taken up much of the 50 years after the incident. The city is now completely finished and established as sort of rumor. As for as the government is concerned everyone has relocated. The old Seattle is nothing more than crumbling buildings and large dump.

The city has only become a refugee camp for hackers because of The Scientist. They don't welcome everyone with wide open arms, but however they won't turn down a family. Plus the city is secret, very few know about its location.

Now I figure their technology, architecture, and what not. Couldn't possibly be more advanced than that of 21st century. This place is basically its own country now, so they govern themselves. If anyone has ever seen "The City of Ember" I compare it much to that; except not that drastic.

3. I don't wont this city to get too strong or separate, because then it would be like having a RP within a RP.

4. Also it would be cool to have a better name than The Scientist. Though if you really enjoy it, then it is fine. I was thinking something along the lines of "Think Tanks"?
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Fri May 14, 2010 6:54 pm

cool... so... I asked cause he's not in the character directory / the tabs character tab...?

Chuckles
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Novelist Storyteller World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Fri May 14, 2010 8:10 pm

He's not...?

Super sorry about that!

I thought there were only two character's that didn't show: mine and OriginalSix character (Able).

But, once the RP reaches a set number, characters stop appearing for some reason. But If you give me a link, I will add him to the character directory now.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avey on Fri May 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Can't wait for this rp to start! :)

Avey
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Sat May 15, 2010 12:55 am

roleplay/the-program-anarchy-is-freedom/characters/adam-kirby-xiii/

linkaded. made some tweaks, might try and find an image for it too but it'll be a few days.

Chuckles
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 am

1. Tech ONLY dump. this is a part I disagree on. It seems they would dump more than technology, I picture it as being a dump period, a landfill. I figure that most of the city has been destroyed and the government didn't want to waste funds on this city, so they decided to chalk it up as a casualty of terrorist act. Maybe even blame it on hackers...

Actually, that gives me a great idea. The non-tech trash that gets dumped (which pales in comparison to the amount of technological trash) could be converted into a material used to power highly-advanced technology that can't be run on that green power source that's being used in the roleplay.
2. The underground city, would not be purely for hackers, but for survivors of the incident period.

Er . . . I'm not sure.
It was an idea of the scientist to rebuild the city underground.

There's more than one Scientist.
Of course this process would have taken up much of the 50 years after the incident. The city is now completely finished and established as sort of rumor. As for as the government is concerned everyone has relocated. The old Seattle is nothing more than crumbling buildings and large dump.

I don't know if it would take fifty years. With all the hackers helping, plus about six Scientists, I'd imagine it'd go fairly quickly. Though the rumor part is good. And, I'd like the aboveground to look like it's just crumbling buildings and large piles of tech trash, but really be more than that.

The city has only become a refugee camp for hackers because of The Scientist. They don't welcome everyone with wide open arms, but however they won't turn down a family. Plus the city is secret, very few know about its location.

Again, more than one Scientist, and I don't think they'd care who lives in the city or not as long as they don't start shooting people.

Now I figure their technology, architecture, and what not. Couldn't possibly be more advanced than that of 21st century. This place is basically its own country now, so they govern themselves. If anyone has ever seen "The City of Ember" I compare it much to that; except not that drastic.

I don't think so. First, I don't imagine it as completely disconnected from the outside world; certain people would bring in technology and sell it. Second, the dumped technology is modern, and a lot of the hackers are really good at hardware too. Plus, of course, The Scientists.

3. I don't wont this city to get too strong or separate, because then it would be like having a RP within a RP.

I don't think it will, but what's wrong with a roleplay within a roleplay?

4. Also it would be cool to have a better name than The Scientist. Though if you really enjoy it, then it is fine. I was thinking something along the lines of "Think Tanks"?

To be honest, I think the names in this roleplay are way too silly. "Data Frame Cowboys"? Uh, yeah . . . . "The Scientists" is simple, clean, and makes sense. I mean, why would the townsfolk call them "Think Tanks"? What's the point?

Kama
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Sat May 15, 2010 3:30 am

Actually, that gives me a great idea. The non-tech trash that gets dumped (which pales in comparison to the amount of technological trash) could be converted into a material used to power highly-advanced technology that can't be run on that green power source that's being used in the roleplay.

LOL like the delorean?

But this is what I mean with the city becoming too big. It already has a new power source that fuels technology more advanced than androids and flying cars?

2. The underground city, would not be purely for hackers, but for survivors of the incident period.

Er . . . I'm not sure.

It was a statement, not a question.

There's more than one Scientist.

Yea, I know.

I don't know if it would take fifty years. With all the hackers helping, plus about six Scientists, I'd imagine it'd go fairly quickly. Though the rumor part is good. And, I'd like the above ground to look like it's just crumbling buildings and large piles of tech trash, but really be more than that.

Creating an underground city from scratch, with limited resources and manpower, would be quick? I think not. Even with the addition of advanced technology.

Again, more than one Scientist, and I don't think they'd care who lives in the city or not as long as they don't start shooting people.

The Scientist, is the name of the group right? Hence why I keep saying The Scientist. I know there is more than one person, especially since you say it is a sophisticated group of genius hackers.

It's not so much as who, but how many. My mistake.

I don't think so. First, I don't imagine it as completely disconnected from the outside world; certain people would bring in technology and sell it. Second, the dumped technology is modern, and a lot of the hackers are really good at hardware too. Plus, of course, The Scientists.

If you have to use the word certain, that pretty much means secluded, which is damn near the same as disconnected.

I don't think it will, but what's wrong with a roleplay within a roleplay?

Sometimes a lot.

The way you describe the city, is a bit much. The city is so well prepared for a war that hasn't even began. I get the feel that their slogan would be "Us Against the World." Then there is the fact that the city will not have a strong presence within the RP, so why be so detailed. Then if it does come down to it and the city is the location of a great battle, it would be easily destroyed. Since the city is underground, they are basically trapped. Plus they could just bomb the hell out of the city and nobody would bat an eyelash.

That doesn't really answer the initial question, but eh.

To be honest, I think the names in this roleplay are way too silly. "Data Frame Cowboys"? Uh, yeah . . . . "The Scientists" is simple, clean, and makes sense. I mean, why would the townsfolk call them "Think Tanks"? What's the point?

Ouch! Way to hurt my pride...

Why do the people of Gotham City call Bruce Wayne "Batman" and not "The guy that runs around in a bat like suit"? Because it sounds cool, that's why.

...But, the point would be to avoid simplicity. For that exact reason is why I wanted a name change. But, like I said, if you liked it then it can stay.

Anyway, I think there is enough for me to create and finish this city.

Update:

I have decided to post-pone the start of the RP to Monday.

Mostly because I want to stick to my policy of not starting RPs on the weekend.

Plus there is some plot developing going on between me and other RPers and I want to finish that up as well.

Meanwhile I am STILL working on finishing locations.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 pm

LOL like the delorean?

But this is what I mean with the city becoming too big. It already has a new power source that fuels technology more advanced than androids and flying cars?

Ah, I was under the impression that it couldn't be used to power something as advanced as androids -- and I didn't mean a new power source, I meant something already existing.

It was a statement, not a question.

I'm just saying that I don't think there would be many, if at all, survivors left, and I don't they'd fit in the underground.

Yea, I know.

Well then, why do you keep referring to them as one person?

Creating an underground city from scratch, with limited resources and manpower, would be quick? I think not. Even with the addition of advanced technology.

I didn't say it would be quick, but I don't think fifty years. Also, I don't think it would be something that they would close off until it was completed -- they're probably always working to expand and evolve it.

The Scientist, is the name of the group right? Hence why I keep saying The Scientist. I know there is more than one person, especially since you say it is a sophisticated group of genius hackers.

It's not so much as who, but how many. My mistake.

No, the name of the group is "The Scientists", since it'd be weird for it not to be plural when it is a group.
If you have to use the word certain, that pretty much means secluded, which is damn near the same as disconnected.

Well, yeah, it is secluded, but not entirely.
Sometimes a lot.

The way you describe the city, is a bit much. The city is so well prepared for a war that hasn't even began. I get the feel that their slogan would be "Us Against the World." Then there is the fact that the city will not have a strong presence within the RP, so why be so detailed. Then if it does come down to it and the city is the location of a great battle, it would be easily destroyed. Since the city is underground, they are basically trapped. Plus they could just bomb the hell out of the city and nobody would bat an eyelash.

That doesn't really answer the initial question, but eh.

I didn't see anything wrong with what you said. Plus, you kind of just contradicted yourself -- it's so well prepared for a war, but it wouldn't stand a chance?

Ouch! Way to hurt my pride...

Why do the people of Gotham City call Bruce Wayne "Batman" and not "The guy that runs around in a bat like suit"? Because it sounds cool, that's why.

...But, the point would be to avoid simplicity. For that exact reason is why I wanted a name change. But, like I said, if you liked it then it can stay.

Actually, "Batman" makes sense. He's a man, who dresses like a bat. That's simple. And I don't think you should be avoiding simplicity, as the simplest things are often the greatest.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a jerk here, I'm just defending my viewpoints.

Kama
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Well since I am tired of debating this with you, I am going simply say:

"Ok."

I will finish the city how I envision it, along with your ideas.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Sat May 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Wait . . . when you say "okay", does that mean I can convert garbage into energy and stuff?

Kama
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chuckles on Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 pm

O_o

Monday?? I don't think I can wait that long!! lol

I'm floating with whatever plot comes out of the game but if you need/want anything out of my character don't hesitate to ask!

Chuckles
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Sat May 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Haha I know what you mean Chuckles, but believe me, it will be well wroth the wait.

BTW: Good edits on the character and he has been added to the directory.

And no.

The city will be no more than what is in the description of the two locations.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edelle on Sun May 16, 2010 2:14 am

Well, I have some things to add to Seattle.
1. I don't imagine it being underground. Perhaps a select few of the Scientists would live in underground structures that survived the bombing.
Mostly, I imagine it being built over the old structure of Seattle. Wherever there were foundations for a previous building, they would tunnel and make a "building" over the existing layout. This would, of course, lead to cave-ins. The Scientists would give free tech to those who helped clear cave-ins. That's how the infrastructure is maintained.
2. For the most part, people try to help each other out, but there are also some very "opportunistic business people" who will cheat you out of a good deal. Most people in Seattle have similar goals.
3. Even though most of the people in Seattle aren't very well off, they would still have a very bright and lively multicultural mix. There would be a bit of an artistic scene, even though no one would buy art. They paint murals to liven things up, and as a recreational activity. There are occasional community events, organized by the Scientists.
4. The Scientists recruit only the best and the brightest. They know almost all the goings-on in Seattle and hold the majority of the power. They like to keep to themselves, and the members who are higher in their ranks are hardy seen. There is a rumour that they are planning something big.
5. Vancouver Island is used by a few big companies as a shipping yard. Occasionally, the Scientists gather supplies for building, medical, and brand new tech. These raids are well planned and, for the most part, undetected.

[Edit: I think, at the moment, we are in danger of becoming a tad closed off... I'll see if I can find sneaky plot devices to avoid this.]
You can't spell neurotic
without erotic.

Edelle
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kama on Sun May 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Edelle wrote:Well, I have some things to add to Seattle.
1. I don't imagine it being underground. Perhaps a select few of the Scientists would live in underground structures that survived the bombing.
Mostly, I imagine it being built over the old structure of Seattle. Wherever there were foundations for a previous building, they would tunnel and make a "building" over the existing layout. This would, of course, lead to cave-ins. The Scientists would give free tech to those who helped clear cave-ins. That's how the infrastructure is maintained.
2. For the most part, people try to help each other out, but there are also some very "opportunistic business people" who will cheat you out of a good deal. Most people in Seattle have similar goals.
3. Even though most of the people in Seattle aren't very well off, they would still have a very bright and lively multicultural mix. There would be a bit of an artistic scene, even though no one would buy art. They paint murals to liven things up, and as a recreational activity. There are occasional community events, organized by the Scientists.
4. The Scientists recruit only the best and the brightest. They know almost all the goings-on in Seattle and hold the majority of the power. They like to keep to themselves, and the members who are higher in their ranks are hardy seen. There is a rumour that they are planning something big.
5. Vancouver Island is used by a few big companies as a shipping yard. Occasionally, the Scientists gather supplies for building, medical, and brand new tech. These raids are well planned and, for the most part, undetected.

[Edit: I think, at the moment, we are in danger of becoming a tad closed off... I'll see if I can find sneaky plot devices to avoid this.]

1. Well, I definitely don't want it to be all underground; there should be quite a bit above-ground too, and for what is above-ground, that would probably work.
2. Yeah, like Jared.
3. Yeah.
4. Yeah.
5. Yeah, that makes sense.

Kama
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Sun May 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the additions, but I am going to leave the city as is.

As of right now Seattle is no more than trash dump for the state of Washington. Then there is The Underground or New Seattle, which is a completely underground city.

I have spent to much time trying to custom make this city and every time I try to finish up, I run into roadblocks because it is not my own idea. So the city will pretty much be done how I view it now, except for a few things.

However I will try and I find a place to list this information. I will probably file it in the info thread, when I edit it to include the new hacker group.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MistressDarkstar on Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 am

Just posting to let everyone know that I'm still alive. Waiting on this RP to finalize and start. It's coming together nicely. :)

MistressDarkstar
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!