Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Trantor Fleet Engagement (CK Incursion, Battle #1)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: The Trantor Fleet Engagement (CK Incursion, Battle #1)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:08 am

First off, its important to understand what our Dimensional Technology and such is all about and how it operates. Bare in mind, all of which you are about to see is my own personal work, and most of it is under copyright protection. Remember this, and remember it well. The opinions stated in this are of my own research and conclusions, and are not stated as actual facts in reality, but which still makes them facts to be acknowledged within RP Reality.

That pretty much sums it up, then. When people do their own works and develop their own powers/technology/etc. for RP purposes, it is to be accepted rather than indefinitely questioned.

I'd like to thank you for that. This ends all debate of this and that can't be done. It's RP, folks. Everyone plays differently, accept it and -- the cardinal rule of RolePlaying -- enjoy it.

EDIT: I'm elaborating on this just a touch. In the RP world, things don't work on plausibility, it works on equality. If you can fire a gun with that strength, he summon a spell of that strength. If your body can defend from that strength, her armor can, too. If you can run that fast, their ship can match. Technology, biology, it's irrelevant. RP is about having fun, not about nitpicking. I'm not pointing fingers, it's happened on both sides, so I say this: Drop it and stop the fault-finding.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Here's a message you sent me:

Jii wrote:Also, please try to keep the size of your posts small. Giving prior justification for your character's presence is fine, but try to only include the important details of things. There are a lot of people involved in this war, so limiting the amount of text in posts is crucial to maintaining order.

Half of what you posted was completely irrelevant stuff that I didn't need to hear about, or that could've been greatly shortened.

Regardless, as Zhelir points out, the problem is solved. We've finally figured out that, oh my God, we're operating in a world of pure fiction where everything is made up. Now, by my reckoning this should have been obvious from the start, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jii on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:53 am

That pretty much sums it up, then. When people do their own works and develop their own powers/technology/etc. for RP purposes, it is to be accepted rather than indefinitely questioned.

I'd like to thank you for that. This ends all debate of this and that can't be done. It's RP, folks. Everyone plays differently, accept it and -- the cardinal rule of RolePlaying -- enjoy it.

However, there are still rules such as Power Gaming to keep in mind. Its against the rules to destroy an entire planet, among other things, even IF you are fully capable of such. The "In-Character" rules which govern our usage of the Creation Cannons is "OUR" method of obeying these rules, which apply to everyone.

Half of what you posted was completely irrelevant stuff that I didn't need to hear about, or that could've been greatly shortened.

People were questioning the validity of our technology, and in turn, my intelligence. Everything I wrote in my previous post is all needed so as to "understand" the simple concepts I explained in an earlier post. Where I came from, things aren't just taken at face value, and the common ideaology expressed nowadays in that you can't explain RP Reality is something myself and others do not believe in. Rather, we see that as an excuse for others to be lazy and not take an active role in learning more about their characters and their powers, such as the Wizard who casts a fireball, and when asked how he did so his only response is that "Its Magic". And nothing more.

You'd be surprised how much more creative an RPer can be when they know every single detail about the things they use. And that was the first thing we RP Instructors would teach our students. If you get anything out of this, I hope its that.

Regardless, as Zhelir points out, the problem is solved. We've finally figured out that, oh my God, we're operating in a world of pure fiction where everything is made up. Now, by my reckoning this should have been obvious from the start, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Do not belittle my previous post, and paint it as if myself or others were not aware that RP Reality is in fact fiction. If anything, my previous post points out that RP Reality isn't JUST fiction, but an ACTUAL reality in itself, only with the addition of extra aspects many associate with "fantasy". But fantasy can be explained and rationalized, as I have just proven. At any rate, the true purpose for my previous post was in response to Zhelir and Quanta, who neither of which I am too quite pleased with, especially after I was shown a certain IM conversation that someone had with Zhelir.

Now. Cease these OOC posts until there is something which requires the use of this thread. Each time someone responds to me in here, it only serves to slow my response to the actual IC Thread.
{ The Bloody Baron of ClanNation }
Son of the Legendary Ancient One

Jii
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:00 am

Now. Cease these OOC posts until there is something which requires the use of this thread. Each time someone responds to me in here, it only serves to slow my response to the actual IC Thread.

Yeah, so quit fucking taking shots at each other, because I've been waiting forever to get this goddamn battle under way, and I've really been looking forward to it since the Dark Realm is not only a means of combat, but is also used for story-elements such as climactic fights or instilling fear on a different level.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 am

Zhelir Darkfall wrote:EDIT: I'm elaborating on this just a touch. In the RP world, things don't work on plausibility, it works on equality. If you can fire a gun with that strength, he summon a spell of that strength. If your body can defend from that strength, her armor can, too. If you can run that fast, their ship can match. Technology, biology, it's irrelevant. RP is about having fun, not about nitpicking. I'm not pointing fingers, it's happened on both sides, so I say this: Drop it and stop the fault-finding.

I don't believe it could have been said more eloquently.

Now that Sugarcube put up the thread (albeit inadequately), let's get this show on the road. Sugarcube, you're going to need to write in how you're getting to the ground - we'll let you ignore any anti-air defenses the various groups have on the planet's surface, but please - write it in!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Donovan Richter on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:55 am

I don't mean to drag anything on so I'm just going to try to give some reasons for things without attacking anyone (Course it helps that I don't tend to attack people and I can never remember who just said what unless you all have very defined avatars or use special emoticons. =^_^=)

I personally only care out the how powers work part, not even what they do very much. I'd rather talk about stuff like how magic works, even in a fantasy world, rather than give the simpler answers. I'm a pretty similar way with technology, but to date my only really grand invention was coming up with a means for justifying zombie reanimation through a sort of 'plague.'

I'm very strange, so of course I just wanted to figure out how it would work. In the process I ended up changing so many points to the typical zombie lore that the things became an incredible threat. It was only after I came up with the more advanced ideas as to how they would preserve themselves, provide movement and thought, gather energy from the environment etc that I realized just how difficult they would be to kill and the possibilities there were for making them a near apocalyptic, if not entirely so, disaster. This is of course only if they actually existed in our world, I suppose the influx of space travel, mecca that don't need refueling, and one angry tennager who can chuck fireballs would still make them obsolete, but oh well. I'm sure it will make for a wonderful book project as soon as I'm done with college. =^_^=

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of the things that look needless when it comes to fantasy are the real spice, and in fact, ultimate goal for some. For those who don't care for such things, leave it for those who do, or use it to further your own ideas and revamp old techniques/theories/zombie microorganisms to make them all the more menacing.

I am glad to see that things are finally getting a move on here though. And I just wanted to say that Jii is, in fact, not a moron or whatever he was called earlier. Besides, just look at the part of the post that makes reference to my wonderful golem/undead creation =^_^= Course I like for my golems to eventually become their own people, but that's just my style. =^_^= How can anyone who mentions the magical lending of animation to objects be a moron anyhow? So yeah =^_^=

Oh yeah, before I forget, I like equality myself, but I also like to lend people certain advantages. I usually see fighters as being equally fast and strong unless the player designates that their character is weak or slow. That way fights are all about what maneuvers and tactics the player pulls off. But at the same time, weapons and movements employed all vary. For instance, a particularly tough person would only wear armor if it made them even tougher, therefore, this armor clad person should be much more resillient than a similar person without armor, and definitely more so than my slim little fox guy. Same thing with weapons, an axe does more damage than a sword just due to design. Also, a person with a spear barely has to twitch his hand a couple times to make a series of attacks, whereas a person who dodges these has to move his entire body. What I'm really getting at here is... Do you all go at things differently? If so that's fine I suppose.. it doesn't seem to give a whole lot of incentive to have a person use particular items/vehicles etc though does it?

Now would be a good time for aggressions to be switched over to a fueling for IC assaults rather than OOC, so I guess things can calm down? Plz, k thnx.

Donovan Richter
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rize on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:20 pm

So, this has the look of a giant clusterfuck of an ooc thread now. Lovely. Personally, I think my head exploded somewhere in the midst of trying to follow quanta's post about reality being destroyed by anti-matter or somesuch. I hate advanced math, and barely studied physics. I'm an english major for crying out loud. Bah. Regardless, the whole situation is stupid.

Now, in regards to the last two posts in the IC thread. Circ, I believe I see what you were doing, seperating the Prophet and Shoujo squad from one another to make it more feasible for Sugarcube to get that hunk of junk out of here, a in a mod's capacity, right? I hope so anyways. Otherwise it's just wierd to be posting about space trash and diaprs and we might need to have you speak to a counselor.

As for the other one, with the dead kid smashing into varied and unnamed ships. Really, is there a point to that? It's distasteful for one, needless, and unless you intend on actually entering the RP as somethign other than a joke for your own edification and entertainment, please refrain. There's enough crap floating about as it is, we don't need more.
Characters, Mechs, Ships, and Miscellaneous of House Meridian
...and I whet my glittering blade...
...and mine hand take hold on judgement...
...shall I deliver vengeance unto mine enemies...

Rize
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 pm

To clarify for Donovan, what I intended when I spoke of equality wasn't that everything is the same. I tend to agree, If I drop a 50lb warhammer on someone's head, it's going to do considerably more damage than dropping a carving knife from the same distance. I had meant, all players are capable of the same feats. Naturally, characters vary, and their strengths and weaknesses go along with that, but all players themselves have the ability to make a character equal in strength to any other in the multiverse, though whatever means suits them. (the exception of this is in private RPs, and even occasionally multiversal settings, where a GM or group of people will have a god-like character used to give the plot a little nudge).

Rize, I'll ask you to stop insulting people. If you have a real issue with Fractal's post, and Circ's twisted sense of humor, take it up with them, don't go bashing them here, that only adds fuel to the fire. Personally, I found Fractal's post to be a literary work of art. Yes, the basis of the plot is twisted, but we see enough of that in great literature as it is. I believe he took a twisted concept and make it work wonderfully -- and no, we won't limit people in what they can and can't use in the RP. His post was building on Circ's post about space debris and its hazards, he just added a bit more color to it.

EDIT: This goes for everyone. Arguing about RP styles and the like aside, do NOT insult another person's writing here. It won't be tolerated. Fair warning.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Beta Tester Contributor

Jii agreed to respond to my post, Rize. You're the only one with an issue with it so far.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Donovan Richter on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm

(The above post has been viewed, read over and agreed with. I figure that since I only have a two word response lined up, I would write a bit more in order to jumble everything in this thread a tad more.)

Okie dokie. =^_^=

Donovan Richter
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:26 pm

I disagree with so much of what I've read. Fortunately, I'm not going to bring it all up, 'cause it doesn't matter.

Rize: Why would someone in their right mind RP for any other reason but their own entertainment? As absurd as the Jamie Henderson story is, it was a better read than any other post in that thread, as well as more plausible in terms of reality. However, it has been established that we aren't writing reality. We're writing fiction.

Jii: Since I'm on the topic of fiction vs. reality, as real as this world may be in your mind, that doesn't add an iota to its material credibility: in short, it is fiction, and objecting to the use of that term doesn't change the fact it is.

As to your posts being long and irrelevant (poor word choice), I think Fractal was referring to your writing style in general, which tends to drag on unnecessarily without adding useful content. However, not everyone writes as concisely as Fractal does, and I think it would behoove us all to acknowledge that some people tend to ramble or are unable to effectively express themselves and, as such, feel the need to overkill a topic.

Finally, is there some set of rules that everyone agreed to follow, or a dictionary of terms we can all agree on? I am not particularly aware of one, although I know there is an unspoken code amongst RPrs of what is and is not acceptable. However, the translation of that code seems to be a bit different amongst individuals, thus these arguments.

Jii wrote:Bare in mind, all of which you are about to see is my own personal work, and most of it is under copyright protection.

If you are talking about the ideas, anyone who attempts to interact with your copyright fantasy world is in violation of copyright law, and I suggest they all cease and desist role playing with you to avoid any litigious backlash. However, if your concern is plagiarism of the actual text, I can respect that.
conditio sine qua non

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rize on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Are you people seriously kidding me? When did I tear down anyone's writing? I didn't insult adamn thing, or a damn person. All I did was ask someone to actually roleplay if they're going to and not post random seeming posts that arn't involved with the story at all, for no other reason than because it seems like a funny joke to them. I mean is Fractal's post supposed to be a serious RP post? Well written, yes, I thought it was excellently written, personally. Did it strikem e as a serious RP post for the thread? No, not in the slightest. It looked like someone's idea of a trollish joke.

And as for Circ, for crying out loud did that actually look like I was insulting him? That's a bloody joke, ye great mass of twits.

Rize, I'll ask you to stop insulting people. If you have a real issue with Fractal's post, and Circ's twisted sense of humor, take it up with them, don't go bashing them here, that only adds fuel to the fire. Personally, I found Fractal's post to be a literary work of art. Yes, the basis of the plot is twisted, but we see enough of that in great literature as it is. I believe he took a twisted concept and make it work wonderfully -- and no, we won't limit people in what they can and can't use in the RP. His post was building on Circ's post about space debris and its hazards, he just added a bit more color to it.

There wasn't any RPing! It was some wierd (well written) seemingly random post about a dead child's frozen corpse that somehow can punch through starship armor without turning into a fine mist.

Jii agreed to respond to my post, Rize. You're the only one with an issue with it so far.

I'm only concerned with how it's possibly considering a legitimate RP post. Are you going to be introducing a character that's somehow involved with the dead kid or something? I'm completely confused as to the relevancy.

Rize: Why would someone in their right mind RP for any other reason but their own entertainment? As absurd as the Jamie Henderson story is, it was a better read than any other post in that thread, as well as more plausible in terms of reality. However, it has been established that we aren't writing reality. We're writing fiction.

I've dealt with far too many trolls whose idea of fun and rp'ing is to post completely random shite that's not related to the actual RP for any reason. From what I can see, and I'll admit it could be wrong if Fractal puts up another post in the future that's somehow tied in there to introduce a character or something, that's all it appears to be to me. Trolling with random, vaguely disturbing imagery for shits and giggles.

Rize
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 pm

That's pleasant, but it's already been stated it was regarding distinct events in the RP. One doesn't have to play a specific character to be involved.

As far you you tearing down his writing, I do believe the quote was, "there's enough crap out there, we don't need more floating around."

So, I'll state it again, for all relevant parties.

The flaming finally managed to come to a halt for a while (or at least shift out of the topic and into PMs, where it's supposed to go), so ditch the flames and move on to the RP itself.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rize on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

That line was in reference to his post seeming like trolling, nothing to do with his writing skills. I do not insult people's writing skills on this board or any other, I'll have you know.

So let me get this straight though. One does not need to have a character involved in an RP in order to post in it? This is seriously a rule here? So technically anyone could go to any open RP and just post something in it if they feel like, without ever creating a character to set foot in it IC?

That's ridiculous. Please tell me that's not the way it really works.

Rize
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Well, then for future reference I'll have to explain why I plan on bringing in another character once the ground-thread really starts to kick off.

And believe me, he probably has more IC reasons than any of my other characters. Besides it happens to be the one I'm the best with when it comes to writing, so I'd really like an opportunity to show him off in this war, anyway.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough -- and I mean that in earnest, I could see how the mistake could be made -- when I said that. Obviously, by anyone's common sense, a player wouldn't be able to play the nearest star and suddenly explode. However, the simulation of real elements in the battle is something I think is rather innovative in combat, so long as it's indiscriminate. If the atmospheric debris just happened to be pummeling every CK ship in reach and conveniently dodging all the New Terra fighters, that's different. But if a player is willing to sit back and play those conditions that neither side has control of to mix up the action a bit, I not only find it an enjoyable read, but that it brings the battle more to life. It highlights the fact that that one must cope with more than just the person they're trying to kill.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Rize wrote:That's ridiculous. Please tell me that's not the way it really works.

It's not, mate, and let me tell you that I genuinely respect your concerns to the situation. Nor do I feel Rize is insulting my writing skills, so no one should feel concerned about that. No one was obligated to pay heed to the post, Jii told me initially he intended to ignore it, which I was generally okay with. He decided to change his mind. That's his choice. If he's decided to acknowledge the post, that's his choice. You do not need to, and I'm sorry to have concerned you in this fashion.

Fractal Resonance
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rize on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Hey, so long as I can be assured you're not just trolling our thread for a lark, then I've got no real problems. I see Zhelir's point and can see the value in someone doing as he said, as long as they remain neutral.

I'm still slightly miffed I got warned for a post that wasn't even insulting though... I've never been warned for anything on a board in my life.

Rize
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LitomoSilver on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Lol...

Oh, god! The lulz! THE LULZ!

Good god, I'm LULZing harder than I've ever lulz'ed.
A Fallen Warrior am I, as I lay upon my back, knowing as I raise my eyes to the skies, as I lose the battle of my life, that I will never see again...those that I love. Blood and tears flow gently down my face as I await the final judgment...knowing that I am forever free, yet forever damned as I close my eyes and release my breath for the final time...

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain....It's time to toss the dice...Mat Cauthon-Robert Jordan...Wheel of Time series

"How do you prove that you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." - Vivi

"Having sworn fealty, must I spend my life in servitude?" - Steiner

"To be forgotten is worse than death." - Freya

"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty." - Amarant.

LitomoSilver
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I imagine the flying shit was in reference to debris, bovine limbs, and whatnot.

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!