Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What Martial Arts do you do?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

What Martial Arts do you do?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm

hey im Heaven and i do Tae kuk mu sul its a Korean art that includes Ssirum,Tae kwon do,Hap ki do,Mu sul,Kung Fu,Judo, kick boxing,Aiki do,Tai chi,Karate,Jujitsu,and Yoga. Its pretty cool we also do fallling arts so that we can fall corectly without breaking anything lol it does happen.Joint locking is always fun im sure you all can agree with that.And lets not forget weapons I prefer the staff cause its most likly to be around in a fight although i do compete with my katana and double swords the nunchuks are not bad i can fight with them but there not my first choice.I love grappling like jujitsu style i can fight on the ground for days i love it. So tell me:

What style do you practice?
What do you love about it?
And give me a link if you can
oh and whats your fav weapon to fight with that you feel confident in?
How long have you been practiceing?
Do you compete?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Heaven
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: What Martial Arts do you do?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sashay on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:08 am

Until a few months ago, I praticed solely Tae Kwan Do. However, when I started I'd just graduated from high school, so I had to change schools for it because I went off to college. Then I transfered to another college, and here where I am now there IS no TKD outside of a club we're trying to start here at my college. (School I went to for most of my TKD training - http://www.teamchiptkd.com/ )

Now (well, since right before thanksgiving), I'm going to a school that teaches some wierd stuff (to me). It's a mix of Kali, Silat, Jun Fan (supposed to lead to Jeet Kun Do), and Muay Thai Kickboxing. Recently we've started having MMA and grappling classes as well (leading to some interesting bruises, too. ^^; ). (Link to new school: http://www.warriorswaytx.com/ )

Now that I've rambled on, I'll actually answer the questions! :D I love TKD and everything I've learned so far because it's given me a lot more confidence than I ever had before. I always hated doing anything physical, and for the most part I still do, but now I'm more active than I've ever been. And the look on my instructor's face when I nearly kicked him in the nose - priceless! With what I've been learning at my new school, well...I've learned some interesting places to poke people to make them let go. And I've learned how to crawl out from under someone who's almost twice my size (less than 140 lbs).

I've only started weapons recently, so I'm not particularly confident in most of them, but I enjoy the knife sparring we've been doing. I love what we've done with sarongs too.

I've been praticing TKD for nearly two years now, and the others I've been doing since right before thanksgiving, so that's about four months. o.O Seems like a lot longer, though.

I haven't competed, and probably won't until I get a bit higher in the ranks in both schools (which includes finding another school for TKD).

Sashay
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:13 am

lol we do knife defence and omg we have this new "toy" its a fake knife but its a tazer so if we slip up and the blade of the knife hits us we get a nice lil shock out of it.It brought me to me knees a few times nasty lil thing.

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 am

i checked out your links i think those arts are pretty cool i like that guys kicking on the lil utube video not bad.I know what you mean by the whole doing more now then you ever done thing i started martial arts when i was in middle school and i was really active then i joined the army and omg its true in the army they do more before breakfast then civilians do in one day lol we did combatives in basic training and i went after this girl like for real cause she was acting stupid in the barricks and was telling on everyone so i told her i was gonna kick her ass and when the drill sergeant saw me go after her he pulled me wait let me reword that threw me by my IBA (bullet proof jacket) across the tar pit all i saw was nothing but sky then the ground cause he made me do push ups for punishment...

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:56 am

I'm currently studying Isshinryu Karate, a new Okinawan form of functional Karate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOUlHt0d7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuuBpmZBKI0

I've formally studied Taekwondo (and the counterpart, Hapkido), Neko-ryu Jiujitsu, Judo, and Northern Longfist Kungfu. I've learned the full Sun Tai Chi, but as a self-study art, as I have taken informal lessons from practitioners of Capoeira and Muay Thai.

I do compete, and I am currently undefeated in my AMAA (American Martial Arts Association) career, winning 1st in my division for the past few AMAA national events. I hope to elevate to MMA (mixed martial arts) now that it is legalized in my home state of North Carolina, and I really enjoy a good fight.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 pm

those are some cool videos i love a good fight to its good to know that you can take a hit and still be in the fight.I think it gets addicting once you know your not made of glass.And tournaments are the best i think some of those girl out there are crazy they scream bloody murder just to intimedate you and it used to work on me until i had so many fights that they all just sound the same.Adrinalen its my drug of choice.

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sketchy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:30 pm

YO! I took TKD, also. but i just started Brazillian Jui Jitsu and Shotokan Karate about four months ago. IN TKD im a 4th Dan Black belt, in jui jitsu i'm a high white and in karate i'm a yellow. I love my Martial Arts!
γγ‚Œγ―ιΏγ‘γ‚‰γ‚Œγͺγ„ε‹εˆ©θ€…γ§γ™γ€‚

sketchy
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 pm

sketchy wrote:YO! I took TKD, also. but i just started Brazillian Jui Jitsu and Shotokan Karate about four months ago. IN TKD im a 4th Dan Black belt, in jui jitsu i'm a high white and in karate i'm a yellow. I love my Martial Arts!

kick ass man l ove Martial Arts too its a way of life for me its how I cope with things life throws at me.

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Fri May 09, 2008 5:56 am

I was just browsing around and saw this topic thread. Oh man was I excited to see it... sorta... hee hee...

I took Tae Kwon Do when I was eight and had to stop around fifteen only due to moving and couldn't find a decent dojo so my dad taught us for awhile before he had surgery. I loved TKD!!! It was fun fun stuff.
Last year I took a few month's worth of Kung Fu classes, a serious wave of depression halted that progression. Hopefully someday I'll jump back into it. I loved Kung Fu and everyone in it too!!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us." - Marianne Williamson
ImageImageImage

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 am

I've been training in Shito-ryu Karate-do for 3 years now, Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu Iaido for 2 and kendo for about 8 months now. I'm a 1st kyu in karate and a 4th kyu in kendo. At my karate dojo we practice to use the bo, eskrima, and nunchuku. I'm most comfortable with the sword when it comes to choosing a weapon, but want to expand my weapon training into learning more about the bo and eskrima.

BSX
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JingWu on Thu May 22, 2008 10:17 pm

I practice solely Xing Yi Quan, a form of Chinese Kung fu where we basically do everythingg we can to survive, break, strike, gouge, choke, rip and tear. We are particularly a military style used to defeat the bandits of China and from there we evolved into a style that teaches to quickly deal with opponents. Truly a rewarding style and my teacher is tuly a great man.

JingWu
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dragonelf68 on Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 pm

I do tae kwon do when I can but I've completed the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. Right now I'm a brown black in tae kwon do but I'll be testing for my red soon. the thing I love about tae kwon do, and martial arts in general, is the thrill it creates. I love learning the new techniques and kicks and blocks. I love everything about really. In tae kwon do my favorite weapon to fight with is the katana. I've been doing tae kwon do for a couple of years now but becuase of the military I don't get to go very often.

dragonelf68
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Heaven on Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 am

I love how it becomes natural to you all the movements and the flow of it. My weapon of choice is double swords its just my thing but the second is Bo because its just more likely to be laying around at the moment. I got this really cool set and it looks like a stick about 1 1/2 feet long and you take the ends and pull and it becomes double swords. The blades are in the stick it's my fav toy XD

Heaven
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Fri May 30, 2008 1:38 am

^ I like the bo too!

BSX
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!