Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Calendar Feature in Tab RP.

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

Calendar Feature in Tab RP.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lacquer on Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 am

I'm not sure if this is a temporary feature, but it's inconvenient because I now have to click on a day to view posts, as opposed to the posts automatically showing. How do I turn this off?

Edit:

Hey, thanks for the replies! I originally posted here because I was unsure whether or not it was something on my end - if there was an off button, it would have been an error on my part and would just need help - thus required no need for a suggestion/ideas, etc. etc. I don't mind as long as the dates that have been posted are bolded or something

Fixing the lag is great though! I'll wait it out.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Lacquer on Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___

IORC: AUG 22 - SEP 2!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lacquer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Re: Calendar Feature in Tab RP.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Mon May 16, 2011 5:50 am

I too would care to know what this feature presents other than the apparent complications at present. I'm with Lacquer, is there an 'off' button somewhere?

"When I see you lately I'm wondering on White roses, caskets Your name on a stone."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Seraph
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jayhawker010 on Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 am

I think it would be a helpful tool at times, if you maybe wanted to go back a week to check on a detail for your post, but other than that, the calender is pretty inconvinient. I really hope it's temporary or there will be a way to disable it.
The below are roleplays that need characters D:

Crash II: The Replacements
A roleplay based on the original "Crash" rp where people crash on a deserted island.
The Root's Rebellion
A fantasy roleplay where the people of Euris rebel against the reigning Nightwalkers.

Jayhawker010
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lovely VonSchultz on Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 am

Checking back a week though only requires you to scroll about. With the calendar feature you have to remember exactly what day you posted. It's very inconvenient, and I think, very sloppy. RPs are supposed to be read like stories. This does not read like a story at all. I don't know who's idea this way, but... it's just not working.

Lovely VonSchultz
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Mon May 16, 2011 9:58 am

I too can see a use for it as an optional feature, but frankly when I come on to check (especially if I've not been on for a few days) I just wanna read back through everything that's been posted since my last visit. Is it really so important that people view posts by a specific date? If there was an option to view a range of dates then it'd be slightly better. But I think the calender should be provided as a search feature, not a permanent filter.

shmband
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saviarre on Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 am

I'm involved in an RP where posts aren't made frequently. The calendar feature makes it damn near impossible to find any of the posts without knowing what days they were made. I am not a fan. At all. I agree with Lovely. This is making it impossible for the RPs to be read as a story.
(thanks for the picture, Mid! I love it!)

Saviarre
Fundraising Hero
Fundraising Hero
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon May 16, 2011 11:17 am

Yep, it's extremely annoying. Please can we have a way to turn it off! It seems completely unnecessary when posts are already arranged chronologically.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 am

Please try to be patient. Feedback is always welcome, but it is a new feature that will greatly help with our recent lag and site instability issues, and as a new feature, it's not going to be perfect right away.

You can post feedback and ideas here

Don't forget to check if someone else has already posted an idea though. Two of the same ideas posted will get less notice than one idea posted, that several people voted on.

Also remember to keep any feedback productive and level headed :)
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon May 16, 2011 12:42 pm

We are working to fix the problems with the Calendar feature. As soon as it is fixed, it will display the last day on which a post was made and the Calendar days will only be clickable on the days containing posts. This will make it easier to navigate. The fix should be made very soon.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowWake on Mon May 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi all. Just had a major panic attack about this feature, as it automatically shows nothing! Thanks goodness for my fellow RPers who reassured me with this link!!

Like Saviarre the posting in my RP isn't particularly frequent and with everything else going on in my schedule, I find it difficult to remember what day of the week it is anyway, let alone when I last posted! I'm not sure why this feature is needed as in my opinion it is a lot easier to post when you can see everyone else's responses; if your RPers (inc. myself) are irregular posters then this is going to be impossible with the calendar feature. It seems to benefit only those RPs that have more than 1 post in a day.

I can't see a way around this with the calendar feature, so unfortunately my vote would be to get rid of it. The posts were chronological anyway and I don't feel this new feature enhances RPing in any way.

Sorry to rant here but Tiko's link seems to be broken... :/

ShadowWake
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon May 16, 2011 12:54 pm

I'll address a couple of things.

TIko's link is to the Feedback page which is always accessible on the left-hand site of any screen on Gateway by clicking the floating "feedback" button.

We are going to restore some of the pagination feature. The complete removal of the pagination ability was done to combat some of the major lag issues that have been plaguing Gateway for the last week. We are going to restore that feature to the degree necessary to make your RPs "readable" again as soon as we are able to get through the lag issues.

Finally, the Calendar system will very soon be updated to display the last day on which posts were made, so clicking "Posting" on the Tab will net you the last day in which posts were made. Also, the Calendar will only allow you to click days on which posts were made, so you'll have no trouble clicking through to get to previous posts.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm

If that is the case, the calendar as a clickable is very messy and not very accessible either. It'd be easier just to make big 16 pt. hyperlinks with dates and possibly the amount of posts, which all can be opened simultaneously.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Mon May 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Apologies, the link should be fixed now. But yes, as Jag pointed out, you can always get to it yourself that way.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lacquer on Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

-
Last edited by Lacquer on Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacquer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awinita on Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm

I for one like this idea, all it needs is a little tweaking, and volia, only problem is according to kingjpc (Daddy), the coding for some of the tweaks I suggested, namely a little button to minimise the calandar, and then bring it up again, would be a lot to code for so simple a feature tweak.

However When I saw the screenshot Daddy provided me with the link of, I liked what I saw. It was then I suggested a minimise/maximise button, which would look then like a simple [+] to make it appear, or a [-] to make it disappear. However, it'd take a lot of doing to get right.

But personally I like it, and looked forwards to its appearance.
"What happens in Hyperspace stays in Hyperspace" ~ Cynthiana of House Kuat concerning her and her husband Radimus' 'training sessions'

Awinita
Member for 14 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Storyteller Visual Appeal Person of Interest Tipworthy Beta Tester Lifegiver Property Buyer Bug Hunter Greeter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby leopardspotz17 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather deal with lag than have to deal with the calendar. X/ That's just me. I find the calendar to be extremely cumbersome. I would want everything back the way it was. There's no comprehensible way to read through roleplays with the calendar! No one can remember dates. I can barely remember what day of the week it is, let alone the date. So, PLEASE, change it back. I will legitimately leave this site until it's changed. I just can't deal with this mentally. Changes like this give me nervous breakdowns. I'm serious. Throwing all of this into confusion is making me anxious.

If you want to keep the calendar, then make it an option. I'm very sure that majority of roleplayers on this site liked it the way it was. No one can find anything with this new system. I'm begging, please change it back! Otherwise, I just can't stay on the site. I really CAN'T. :'(

leopardspotz17
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lacquer on Mon May 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Uh. I really don't want this to turn into a complaint thread. You can go ahead and close this mods, as I posted solely on the fact that I thought I was missing something. I'm sure it's been affirmed that the calendar's not complete yet, and that suggestions go to the link provided :)

Lacquer
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Again, there is no need to remember dates. You will only be able to click the dates that contain posts. The only thought process involved is hovering your mouse over the highlighted dates.

Remaeus has stated that that calendar is going to stay. We will explore the option of allowing users to minimize the calendar.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, i hate to tell you this, but i cant post. At all. It wont let me go back ,and instead, takes me to another page entirely. It makes me unable to post or view posts, and i find it incredibly inconvenient and buggy. I cant post, i cant view posts, i cant even skim. The pages i click lead me to a list of roleplays, not posts. Please, remove this, or at least fix it. But i would prefer removal, as it is a pain in the ass, and the other way is far simple.
POWER TO THE ROLE PLAYERS: Pet Project: Verseship

I am 33% evil, 33% insane, 33% role player, and 1% other (Note: Insane and Brilliant are the same thing!)
My test:
My Brothers Test: [CENTER]Image

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Awinita on Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm

For one thing I can see that it is quite buggy as it is. However it is actually helpful. Now a tweak, --if this thread could be used for that, or another created-- Could be ot add in a character name to search up, or maybe a character or more, like if several people were Rping at once, like searching for a character post, 'must have a simicolon between each name' or something like it.

Searching by month is buggy as it is, the tewaks need working out is all.

Awinita
Member for 14 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Storyteller Visual Appeal Person of Interest Tipworthy Beta Tester Lifegiver Property Buyer Bug Hunter Greeter Cult Leader

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!