Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

MurderBrawl I (OOC And Sign Ups)

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Re: MurderBrawl I (OOC And Sign Ups)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athanasius on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:53 pm

The last five subject of the judging rubric are based entirely on how well you perform ICly when faced with combat situations, and how well you reorder those negative effects to your advantage. If that doesn't scream: "BASED ON COMBAT" I don't know what does.

And Noxize, you've not been T1ing for thirteen years. T1 didn't exist as an established style with a rule-set until Eden's Era, and that was only 10-12 years ago. Before then, you would have been Turnbasing. All T1 is turnbased, but not all TB is T1. Ya' ken?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Athanasius
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 pm

>.> I love how you somehow know what I have and have not done; you were with me all those years ago? Funny..I didn't see you there.

T1(Eden)=TB(MSN)=Story(AIM)=All the same shit.

I have been FIGHTING WITH TEXT for 13 years, better?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Well first off congrats to patch for a well fought battle. It was an enjoyable bout.

I have to say I'm very surprised by the lack of damage as a category, Isn't this a tournament where the goal is "Kill your opponent to advance"?

Secondly, I do not understand how Patch can have full points in almost every combat category. He made a huge error in stating he could see my character from the docking bay. It was implied in my writing that she was around two corners in the hallway, making obtaining a visual of her impossible. Orsa took this knowledge he shouldn't have had and made a solid defense around it. How is that not a major points deduction?

Also Ylanne, could i get a breakdown of exactly how my "command of the English language" was so poor? I'd like to know what to improve on for the future.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:10 am

I'm surprised I got a 2 in character development. A 2. Talk about broken. Oh well though. Not like I can post anytime soon. Guess this is my que to quit text-based combat. Obviously not my fortitude.
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
-Anais Nin

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 am

In all fairness, I think my main floor was not clarifying that my characters roll was to the side, not into the corridor. That was a rather large fuck up which should have costed me some serious points towards the end.

Um, yeah. I'm not sure how I got the points for using the environment.

In fact, I was fairly sure I had lost too.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:27 am

Johnathan Alexander wrote:The last five subject of the judging rubric are based entirely on how well you perform ICly when faced with combat situations, and how well you reorder those negative effects to your advantage. If that doesn't scream: "BASED ON COMBAT" I don't know what does.

And Noxize, you've not been T1ing for thirteen years. T1 didn't exist as an established style with a rule-set until Eden's Era, and that was only 10-12 years ago. Before then, you would have been Turnbasing. All T1 is turnbased, but not all TB is T1. Ya' ken?

Those categories may be BASED ON COMBAT, but they do not cover every situation a fight can present. What if two characters engage in numerous hit trades with the sole intention of killing one another? You could argue that the one with better strategy, responses, etc wins, but in such a berserker style situation, those things generally get tossed out the window; the IC mentality is "FUCKING KILL HIM!" not "While I'm trying to brute force my opponent into dust, I should be using refined strategy X, Y, Z to outsmart him." This brings you to a point where you either trade proper IC roleplaying for combat results, or visa versa, which shouldn't happen in that situation given it is within both character's personalities to be acting the way they are. The proper measure there would be how badly they got hurt.

Also, there is no need for so much indirect measurement of the combat performance of the characters. Strategy, stage usage, etc are merely means to an end, and the damage dealt to an opponent is the end those means work towards. It doesn't matter what cunning plans you had in your head, or if you had a brilliant attack which used perfect employment of the stage; if you get a sword through your gut despite those things, you should probably lose anyway. Ylanne used the indirect categories as the deciding factors as to who wins given their scoring weight, while they should be used as a determining factor if the damage output of both characters was sufficiently close.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:34 am

I think of it like a chess game. Sure, material balance (in this case, damage inflicted) is one measure of evaluating a position, but also important is where the surviving assets are placed and what they're capable of. Sure, storytelling and other non-combat factors could be used as a tiebreaker in the case of roughly equal punishment, but this once again goes to show that opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got 'em.

(Barney, now do you see why I declined to judge this thing?)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Can I get a more detailed judgement? I was pretty sure TS won this one. :3

Rilla
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athanasius on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:58 pm

I don't know what's worse. The few of you bitching because you lost, or the rest of you bitching because you won. Holy shit get over it and stop fucking crying already. It's a fight on the internet, not the end of life as we know it.

Athanasius
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby barney_fife on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:11 pm

If you manage to cripple or kill your opponent, the Judging rubric doesn't apply, it's a kill or KO, but in the case where the fights ended before an opponent killed another, it had to be judged.

Round 2 is a battle to the death, the victors will be the ones that survive. There will be no judgments in this round except to break up an argument.
Nip it in the bud.

barney_fife
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Maiden Voyager Group Theory Property Buyer Person of Interest Cult Leader Hordemaster Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Beta Tester Storyteller Greeter Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Johnathan Alexander wrote:I don't know what's worse. The few of you bitching because you lost, or the rest of you bitching because you won. Holy shit get over it and stop fucking crying already. It's a fight on the internet, not the end of life as we know it.

Then stop bitching about people crying! Haha. If a fight on the internet isn't worth bitching about then why are you complaining? Bleh, I'll shoot a pm and take another undefined break from roleplaying while I rage about these twos...TWOS. Danm.

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Is there a reason you are being a jerk? @Johnathan Alexander.

So far you have yet to say anything that was not negative, didn't your mother ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say dont speak?

The complaints are directed at Barney and the other judges- not at you, so as I see it, butt out. Unless for some reason you feel the world revolves around your oversized ego?

Now, I do have a question- regarding one of the other fights.

Orsa Vs Claire- It looked to me that Orsa took considerable damage; that laser thingger. But by points it would seem that Orsa was the victor- are we reading this wrong, or did a criticaly damaged person just walk off with a win, over someone who took not a scratch?

No offence to Patch, by the way- not saying you are a bad fighter, just going by damage taken. If I recall correctly Orsa took a few shots from that laser gun thing. I could be wrong, I havn't read the fights in a few days now..so the details may be off some.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby barney_fife on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm going over the fights to assess damage points accordingly, and I'll get with Ylanne to see if damage was a factor. As for the rubric, Damage was divided into several sub categories.

barney_fife
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Maiden Voyager Group Theory Property Buyer Person of Interest Cult Leader Hordemaster Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Beta Tester Storyteller Greeter Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athanasius on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 am

Is there a reason you are being a jerk? @Johnathan Alexander.

Generally speaking? Yeah. It's usually justified with the simple: "Because I can be, what're you going to do about it?", but I'll break it down even further for you, this once.

Every fight ends the same way these days, without fail. Someone gets angry at the end results, and they spend days - sometimes weeks - crying and bitching about it constantly. It's pathetic, in the worst kind of way. See, I come from a time period when a fight was a fight, you won or you lost. You didn't sit around for forever and a day afterwards whining and complaining like a sniveling, snot-nosed, bitch-made child whose candy was stolen from them by the Big Bad Wolf. You sucked up the fact that a judge told you that you weren't good enough that time around, and went back to basics to get better - presumably for self-improvement and the sheer enjoyment one can get out of revenge.

Now what do we have? What do you see these days? There's no honor left in this game, just pathetic kids who get their panties twisted into knots when they lose a fight. It's disgusting. It's also everything that's wrong with this game today. What do you care anyway? You won on a formality, your opponent either didn't show up at all, or didn't have the free time to spare. It's not like you won based on your own merits as a writer, or a fighter, right? Some of us enjoy this game for what it is, you know.

My advice to those of you who lost? Suck it up and stop whining, figure out where you went wrong without having to dry your eyes of the salty, childish liquid running down your cheeks, and then get better.

My advice to you, Noxize? Stop pretending that this concerns you anyway, we both won our fights - and yet you're the one whining the loudest? Nothing is more pathetic than someone crying when they lost, except someone who cries when they win.

So far you have yet to say anything that was not negative,

On the contrary, given I'm being governed by a tight set of rules against acting in accordance with my usual mannerisms; I'm being quite positive about things.

The complaints are directed at Barney and the other judges- not at you

Yes, yes. The honorable, obviously flawed complaints. You're complaining about what, exactly? That damage doesn't have it's own specific category, even though the majority of the categories used to decide the victor deal directly with the combat aspect of the fight itself, which would so obviously include damage dealt that it's not even remotely funny that you're too blind to notice that.

Those categories may be BASED ON COMBAT, but they do not cover every situation a fight can present

Show me a judging rubric that can, and always does, gauge every single possible situation a fight can present, and I'll show you a judgement that would take several weeks - if not months - to complete. Face it, TwilightShade, that argument is like a bucket sprayed with shotgun shells from the sawn-off barrel of a 12-gauge. It doesn't hold water. You lost. It happened, the judge said it happened. By entering the tournament you agreed to abide by the judgement rendered, no matter what it turned out to be. That's part of fighting, and until you can find a judge you can pay off and carry in your pocket, it's going to remain part of fighting. All you do when you whine, and cry, and bitch, and complain about how you don't agree with a judgement rendered, is make yourself look moronic. Like you just can't handle the fact that someone was able to beat you, and it just ruins your life so you have to defend your honor. Face it, though, when stunts like this get pulled - all it does is prove your honor doesn't exist.

Unless for some reason you feel the world revolves around your oversized ego?

Well, maybe not the whole world, just most of it.

Besides, my ego is directly proportionate with my exploits, accomplishments, and level of talent. No more, no less. I'd hardly call it over sized.

Athanasius
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:03 am

Show me a judging rubric that can, and always does, gauge every single possible situation a fight can present, and I'll show you a judgement that would take several weeks - if not months - to complete. Face it, TwilightShade, that argument is like a bucket sprayed with shotgun shells from the sawn-off barrel of a 12-gauge. It doesn't hold water. You lost. It happened, the judge said it happened. By entering the tournament you agreed to abide by the judgement rendered, no matter what it turned out to be. That's part of fighting, and until you can find a judge you can pay off and carry in your pocket, it's going to remain part of fighting. All you do when you whine, and cry, and bitch, and complain about how you don't agree with a judgement rendered, is make yourself look moronic. Like you just can't handle the fact that someone was able to beat you, and it just ruins your life so you have to defend your honor. Face it, though, when stunts like this get pulled - all it does is prove your honor doesn't exist.

Ylanne's rubric would have gauged every single situation a fight could have presented had she included damage as a factor in addition to what the rubric already has. It may have taken her two weeks or so to judge four fights, but I'd rather see fights judged correctly that take forever to do so than eight angry contestants. Furthermore, I don't see how having a better rubric that takes longer to judge fights with makes me lose an argument I never asserted in the first place. I am perfectly content with losing my fight, and it was the right call on Ylanne's part; many of my replies were rushed, and my character development and creative writing left much to be desired. Also, look through my posts in this thread and find six sentences that explicitly whine about me losing; you'll be hard pressed to do so; with extreme interpretations of my thoughts you'll find four that precede me wishing my victorious opponent good luck in his future bouts.

I don't know about you, Lysander, but I enjoyed my fight, loss or no loss. Rilla's a cool dude and this isn't the first close fight we've had, which makes him a fun person to combat against. I hope you enjoy your round two fight as well.

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 pm

The way I see it, it's people like you that ruin text combat@ Johnathan Alexander- elitest punks who put everyone down and are assholes just because this is the internet; the only place you feel safe enough to shoot off at the mouth.

I am withdrawing from this tournament- I refuse to be a part of something where I cannot simply voice a concern, without being on the recieving end of abuse. My questions were directed towards Barney and the other judges- I was not "crying" or "bitching", I simply had a few issues with the judging system; of which I am not alone.

But whatever, right? Im done.

See you guys in the Battle Arena.

Grahf
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alasund on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Guys, this argument can stop now unless all parties involved are going to continue it in reasonable terms.

I would like to remind you all about our Respect rules. Even if you disagree with another user, or look down on them, or whatever else. That does not allow you to break the rules of the site that you agreed to when you chose to register.
Verdant plains and cold dark night. I have nothing more but silence.

Alasund
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Athanasius on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 am

Disregarding that the rule tab, and the rule on respect wasn't clearly in place when I made this account four years ago - so I didn't actually agree to that rule at all when I registered...sure thing, Alasund. Sup w/ it.

Athanasius
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am

I know the the Battle Arena and these tournaments can be contentious and frustrating for all involved, but please remember that all judges are volunteers and all participants, whether they be combatants, judges, or otherwise involved, are to be treated with respect at all times. The Rules of the site apply to all members, regardless of when they joined as we are all subject to the Rules as they may be amended from time to time. Don't let a good tournament and good fighting be ruined with tempers flaring and personal vendettas, please, as that would be a loss for everyone involved.

If anyone has any issues, please PM a Global Moderator or use the Summon Moderator button. Thanks.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Posting in the OOC today.

Aww; the mods and such have come to stop this - just as I was being amused. :(((

Rilla
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!